Chapter 16

(Katherine's POV)

A inhale deeply and then exhale through my mouth as I finish another lap around the field.

A had one more lap before I finish my run.

I knew I was slowing down as I kept going and wasn't at my best, but who could blame me. I was up all night yesterday thinking about everything that has happened; thinking about my friends; thinking about my whole life; thinking about my parents and what they'd tell me to do, and thinking about what I should do.

It's been a week since the text and since then everything had been slowly going down hill.

I could even tell that most of my teachers had noticed something was wrong too.

At one point my history teacher called me over after class ended and asked if I was okay.

I didn't blame her for thinking I wasn't.

My skin was paler than usual; my eyes looked duller; my hair didn't have that silky shine to it and my face would always look pale. My grades were also slipping from an average of A+ to B-.

That may no seem like a big thing but it is.

Every assignment and essay I do I always get an A+, and by always I mean always.

It is never below that and everyone in the school know that, including all teachers and students.

Not only that, every time I walk around school everyone stares at me with worried eyes.

I was one of those people that smiled at everyone as I walked down the hallways and greeted them, and in return they would greet me too with a smile mirroring mine.

But now...I walk down the school with my pale face and my eyes showing no emotion whats so ever even when I give a smile to people, in a way reassuring them that I'm okay and just having a bad week.

Everyone seemed to understand and gave me some space but now they just look at me with frowns, as if I would never be myself again...and it's probably true.

I let out a breath as I finish the lap.

From the corner of my eye I see coach jogging up to me with a small frown on her face.

"Katherine, are you sure you're okay?" She asked a little worried.

"I'd told you before coach, I'm fine. Why?" I asked a little confused she asked again.

She had asked before the run as I looked pale (no surprise there).

He lips pressed together in a thin line.

"Well, you're the last one off the track when usually you're the first. You're time is 10min 10seconds, when before it was 5min 37seconds. I've also talked to some other teachers and they've said your grades are slipping too. Add all of that to the fact that you've seemed to lose a lot of weight, you don't eat lunch at school anymore, how you look pale and how you seem to have bags under your eyes...Katherine, I'm going to ask again: Are you sure you're okay?" she asked again, her voice firm yet I could see her eyes held worry.

At this point I was speechless. I mean, I knew my grades were slipping and I had promised myself to try harder and I haven't had much of an appetite these last couple of weeks since winter break, but what I didn't know is that I had lost a lot of weight.

I mean, sure I look paler and my clothes ha gone a little baggier but I'm pretty sure I didn't lose that much weight right?

I tried giving her a smile to show her I was okay before speaking.