Chapter 35

(Katherine's POV)

My eyelids shoot open and a scream erupts in the silent room.

Hands grap my upper arms, restricting them, and voices are heard.

Only then do I realise it was me that was screaming and I started to splutter words out while thrashing around on the bed.

"No, no! It was all him! He was the one who killed them! He took everything from me! Why?!" I sobbed.

I continued to sob and my body seemed to tire from all the thrashing.

My body began to calm down as I felt my muscles relax and my breathing became calmer, although I was still somewhat panting.

I was soon pulled up and was sitting on the bed and the hands on my fore arms soon disappeared.

Arms wrapped around me and I was pulled into a hard chest.

"Why, why, why..." I continued to sob into the chest, whispering the word repeatedly, all the while clenching the material of the t-shirt the person was wearing in my hands.

The person holding me was saying something to me but I paid no attention as I continued to sob.

My sobs soon quietend down to sniffles, after what felt like hours, and I was left exhausted.

"Shhhh, it's okay. You're alright" Jason whispered into my ear.

I merely nodded, not wanting to say anything as my eye lids began to feel heavy.

"Go to sleep Kath," he says softly as he lies me down on the bed.

However, no matter how tired I was, my brain wouldn't let my eyes close and quite frankly I didn't want to close them. Not when I was scared and beyond upset.

I was scared that he'd return and try and take me again but sorrowful at remembering the death of my parents.

Both pairs of parents.

What made it worse was knowing both my adoptive and biological parents died somewhat because of me.

He killed my biological parents due to the fact that mum ran away, but she wouldn't have been killed in the first place if she didn't return and put me on the doorstep.

If I wasn't born she would still be alive along with dad.

He most definately wouldn't have killed my adoptive parents if it wasn't for me either. After all, they had been murdered because they tried to protect me from them.

I didn't want to close my eyes. I didn't want to have the nightmares that I was sure to have after witnessing everything. I didn't want to feel like I was aimlessly walking in the darkness, lost, unable to find my way towards the light. I didn't want to be alone.

I looked up at Jason as he looked back at me with worry.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to him. Not after finding out I was the one who took his mother away.

Took our mother away.

He gave me a small smile, worry still evident in his eyes, as he slowly took my hand giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Don't worry, I'll be here when you wake up."

My brain seemed to register these words and my eyelids almost immediately closed.

"I won't ever leave you Kath, I promise...."

In that moment, I knew, I would never be alone and I would always be protected.