Chapter 23

(Katherine's POV)

My breathing picked up almost immediately and I closed my eyes, trying to take in calming breaths.

I felt arms envelope me and my tense posture became a little more relaxed. A little being the key words.

"It's going to be okay" whispers Ruby in my ear.

I took in one last shaky breath before slowly opening my eyes.

I gripped the phone in my hand tightly refusing to unlock and check it.

"You have to open the message Kath" Bethany spoke softly.

I looked up at her and saw her giving me an encouraging smile.

I looked over at Becky and she gave me a small smile and nodded her head.

I let out a breath before loosening my grip on my phone.

Maybe it's not even him

Using shaky hands , I unlocked my phone and pressed the app.

My breath hitched as I saw it was from him.

"It's okay. Just breath" Becky whispered.

I slowly nodded my head not removing my eyes from the screen.

I pressed on the chat and read the message out loud.

"You know I can see you from the patio, right? And why are you shaking? It's just me love. No need to be scared."

I sucked in a breath and , if it was possible, my heart beat picked up even more.

Bethany and Ruby immediately rushed to the patio doors and checked, through the glass doors, to see if there was anything.

"Is there anything?" asked Becky in a monotone voice.

I looked up at here worried.

I hated seeing her like this. She was only this cold if she was thinking, was worried about something and angry at the same time.

I jumped as my phone buzzed again and their attention was immediately back on me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, shaking my head, refusing to read it.

"Come on Kath. It's okay. We're here...we can protect you."

That definitely didn't help.

"You shouldn't be protecting me in the first place" I whispered, "he's dangerous and that means I'm putting you all in danger. I can't do that!" I screamed at the end refusing to look up at them.

I heard shuffling around me before Ruby spoke.

"Look at us Katherine" she said softly.

I shook my head. I couldn't.

"Look at us" Bethany demanded yet it didn't sound scary. It sounded determined.

I slowly raised my head to look at them, only to see they all had the same look in their eyes.

Determination.

"We won't let anything happen to you Katherine. You're family, and family never turn their backs on each other. We'd protect you with our lives and trust us when we say we can also protect ourselves. There's nothing you can say or do that'll make us turn our back on you and not protect you Katherine. So, come on, read the message out" Ruby said softly, as if she was talking to a child who wasn't understanding something.

I just continued to stare at them, no moving.

A tear slipped from my eye and I quickly wiped it away.

I smiled at them weakly.

They were my family now. The people who I would, and do, trust with my life no matter what the circumstances.

Ever since...that night, they were there for me. Especially Becky.

I loved them all and would literally die if anything happened to them because of me.

But I knew what they said was true: there was nothin I could say or do that'll make them turn their backs on me and leave me unprotected.

We were family. We looked out for each other. We protect each ither. We're there for esch otber no matter what. We'd give our life up for each other.

I don't know where I'd be without the girls.

Come to think of it, I don't know where I'd be without the guys either.

They were there for me too, ver since I met them.

They are like...no, they are my brothers just like the girls are my sisters.

Just as I was about to respond to them, to tell them how much they meant to me, my phone buzzed again causing me to jump...again.

I closed my eyes, took in a deep breath before opening them.

The girls gave me an weak, yet encouraging, smile.

I looked down at the screen and started to read it aloud again.

"You know, none of you will be able to see me...or catch me."
"Aw, isn't that sweet. But they won't be able to protect you. As I have said before, they shouldn't be doing it in the first place! You're MINE! You understand!"

I sucked in a deep breath and was about to look up at the girls again but my phone buzzed again.

"Get ready love. I'm taking what's mine..."

Almost immediately the lights flickered and I shot up from where I was seated.

We were all in a circle, but I was a little out of it.

We looked at each other, worried.

The lights flickered again before it became completely dark.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm soooooo sorry for a late update! I have exams coming up and have been revising like crazy, and once you include all the homework that keeps piling up...I'm literally busy every day!

Anyway, I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter!

What do you think will happen next?

Thank you for reading!

Vote

Comment

Follow

Jamilah1125 xx