𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞 [ collision. ]

A/N: So, remember how Maddie is a teenage girl? Because sometimes I think she forgets that. Why do I bring this up? Well, wouldn't you like to know...Anyway! You get a little of everything in this one! A little Scooby Gang, a little Staddie, a little of the big bads, everything! Enjoy!

Song Recommendation ["Til Enda" - Ólafur Arnalds]

NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

☽ † ☾

Its eyes are open. You are being watched.

☽ † ☾

Of course they got detention. Realistically, Maddie was shocked they weren't suspended for the total catastrophe that was the boys locker room incident. If anything, she couldn't help but wonder how shelving books in the library was anywhere near an appropriate punishment - not that she would complain about it. The silence of the book stacks was probably the best part of her day thus far. Quiet, as it turned out, was something she could rarely ever afford.

"So, what was that?"

The sudden sound of a voice brought reality crashing in again and Maddie glanced from the bookshelves to Erica. "What?"

"I didn't think slayers would have glass jaws."

"We don't," Maddie said, eyes narrowing before she looked away. She sounded too defensive and she knew it. If this was the Erica from a few months ago, she might've even apologized. "I was caught off guard. That's it."

In the very next moment, Maddie felt a shift in the energy around her and instinctively turned toward Erica, grabbing the fist that was rushing toward her barely in time.

"That's being caught off guard." There was a smugness in Erica's whole expression, like her voice couldn't contain all of it.

Maddie let go of the fist with a small shove, clenching her jaw. Without snapping back with a reply, she continued to shelve books, one after the other - but now much sloppier. She just wanted to leave. She wanted to get away from these people, all of them. There was never a break, a reprieve from the strange occurrences or the questions. She heard more whispers a few rows down and something inside her snapped. She spun around to look at Erica again. "Why do you even care?"

"Maybe I'm making sure I don't get taken out," Erica drawled and Maddie noticed her side glance. "Maybe I'm making sure you don't get taken out either."

"Since when was I one of your priorities?" Maddie crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "What would Derek say?"

Erica's gaze shot over to Maddie, eyes blazing. "In case you haven't been noticing, Isaac and I have been trying to save your ass for weeks. And all you can do is accuse us because we didn't want to be helpless anymore. Do you even know what that feels like?"

The scar on her stomach itched and she fought to ignore it, her words coming out in a hiss. "Of course I do."

"Then maybe you just don't remember anymore." Erica's jaw tightened. "I didn't want a protector, I wanted a friend. That's it. I don't know why I tried."

The anger that filled Maddie's throat drained away. Her mouth was slack for another moment before she closed it and turned away. She couldn't even force herself to apologize. Even if she was able to, it would've been promptly interrupted by the rumble of books falling to the floor. She paused, noting the turn of unsettling silence before it was followed by more rumbling, although it seemed much louder.