𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 ½ [ fairytales. ]

August 14th, 1973 - The Outskirts of Athens, Georgia

Faded yellow light and walls the color of the pages in her favorite books, lantern light. Drawings everywhere; Alice sitting down for tea with Hatter, Hazel hopping along with El-ahrairah and away from the other bunnies, James laughing beside The Old Green Grasshopper. Stick figures that only a child could identify. The smell inside was a spicy musk with something sweet underneath, the smell of food always cooking.

A drafty room, but she had so many blankets. She was the only one who needed blankets, the only one who slept at night.

The flame in the lantern flickered and shadows moved across the drawings.

A big yawn from such a small girl, exaggerated.

"I'm not tired yet, Papa."

"Nonsense. You've been yawnin' for ages. Besides, you know when your bedtime is, don't you?"

"...Yes, sir."

"Now then, ready for your story?" He was always a storyteller.

"I dunno. What's the story called?" She was always a negotiator.

"The Crow Maid."

"Hm. What's it about?"

"Shush. You'll find out when I tell it."

"But-"

"Once upon a time..."

"But Papa!"

"Once upon a time, there was a girl named Rowan and she was the most virtuous girl in all the land. She was beloved by her family and, despite a humble upbringing, was told constantly she would do great things.

Everyday, she woke up, set out a dish full of special seeds for the crows outside her window, made breakfast with her mother and brother, and helped her father with the farm work. She did it all with a smile and still made time to make sure every villager was happy and healthy.

Despite all of this, Rowan was terrified and exhausted everyday. What the village didn't know was that Death came to her in the night and whispered all the horrors he would commit the next day. She asked why he chose to visit her and tell her all of these horrible things.

"Soon, my dear. When you understand."

Every day, Rowan would wake up and set out to undo the horrible things Death had in store. The first day, she saved a child from a fire but, when she got home, discovered her family's barn reduced to char and ash. She saved an old man sinking in a lake and later found the birds outside her window floating amongst the spilled birdseed in a trough of overflowed rain water.

Every time she rescued a plethora of strangers, the hideous deed she averted would follow her home.

Finally, Rowan and her family had nothing more to lose. Their farm closed as their crops died and their cattle gave in to disease. It was all superfluous; all she needed was her family and the knowledge she did the right thing.