𝐭𝐰𝐨 [ weird. ]

A/N: EDITED. Thank you for all of the reviews! For those who are Buffy fans, I just wanted to let you know that this doesn't follow the comic continuity. Things get super confusing and I don't want to alienate those who aren't familiar with BtVS too badly.

Song Recommendation ["Ain't It Fun" - Paramore]
NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

† ☾

Where do the monsters find you: in the dark or in a crowd?

Will you know them when you see them?

† ☾

The ground was soft and damp beneath Maddie's bare feet as she walked carefully into the forest

The ground was soft and damp beneath Maddie's bare feet as she walked carefully into the forest. A warm, wet breeze that didn't quite feel like a breeze prickled at the back of her neck and the full moon shone down on her, a spotlight in and of itself.

She blinked.

A full moon. That meant something, didn't it?

She craned her neck upward and froze. The moon was massive, taking up a third of the whole night sky. Hanging so low to her that it brushed the tops of trees. She wondered if it was falling. She thought that if it hit the ground, it would crack at its center and she shuddered, fearing somehow a split in the sky that wide and what could crawl through.

That's when she heard it.

A howl.

It was so sudden and so loud that she jumped.

She turned in the direction she of the low, mournful sound. Mournful? Is that how she would describe it? Pained, even? Whatever it was, she started toward it.

Dead leaves and dry twigs crunched beneath her feet like broken bone as she neared the recurring sound and it was no longer one sound. There were several now and the wails became deafening. An eruption of unbearable pain. Her breath caught at that moment and she stopped in her tracks, catching herself from an inevitable fall.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm her racing heart.

On the exhale, the howling stopped completely. The woods became so quiet that she could've heard a pin drop.

Her eyes opened, focusing the shadows, and she suddenly had the urge to scream.

Bodies, bloodied and severed. Halved bodies, deep red with entrails dragging through the forest floor.

Bile. She could feel the bile rising in her throat.

She couldn't turn away, searching for faces she knew in the dark. Knowing, somehow, this was her fault.