𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 [ hate. ]

Song Recommendation ["Castle of Glass" - Linkin Park]
NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

☽ † ☾

The world changed when she left. Stop trying to change it back.

☽ † ☾

Six Years Earlier

She moved like water – with an ease and grace uncommon among the other young girls. As if she was born to do this, to be a slayer. Sure, they were all born to be slayers, but this was certainly different. Every strike, dodge, and kick was so perfectly timed, no one could possibly tell they had all been training for just two years. The trainers were impressed, even when they attempted not to show it. The other girls, though bitter, were in awe. Maddie was not.

Ten year old Maddie fumbled a lot, sometimes even got scared and screamed. When she wasn't afraid, she was clumsy – at least, that's what the adults would say. They didn't think she heard but after she had taken to being on the quiet side after her first few weeks, she seemed to hear a lot. She began to believe that the universe had made a mistake making her a slayer, someone chosen for something so great. It simply wasn't her.

...No, not her.

Marie was another case entirely.

Anne Marie Drake was a twelve year old prodigy. She trained with the older girls sometimes and had, on occasion, beaten a few of them. She had a wide, triumphant smile each time and flipped her long blonde hair as she would saunter away. It was always a treat to watch her work, everyone always said. Maddie didn't seem to agree.

Maddie hadn't forgotten what Marie had done those first few weeks. She remembered the hurt and the laughter emitting from everyone else. She remembered the bruises that had stretched across her rib cage. Sure, time had passed and Buffy had told her not to hold grudges, but she couldn't help it. It was a black spot on her heart that spread with time and no words could stop it.

This is what she had resolved as she watched the girl in training that day. Her insides twisted painfully as she turned away and pushed herself roughly through the crowd. There was nothing good about that girl. Nothing nice or kind or compassionate. She was mean and cocky – and that was at her best. She hurt people that didn't deserve it.

I didn't deserve it.

That's what Buffy had told her, at least.

She sat in the back of the large stone castle, her hard gaze peering out beyond the moors to the cloudy sky. The sun was setting and the icy wind stung her cheeks as it blew past. Soon, being alone outside wouldn't be an option at all, what with winter settling in. She would have to spend her time with the rest of the girls. Maybe Buffy would let her eat with her, her sister, and Mister Harris. She decided to remind herself of that when she got back inside.

That was when she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye.

Maddie's head perked up to find the familiar blonde curls blowing all around the face of a blue-eyed and unnaturally tall twelve year old girl. She bounced around a bit and kept her arms folded, probably to ward off the cold. She didn't wait to ask for a seat next to Maddie before sitting down, much to the younger girl's distress.

There was a long silence passed between them as Maddie's hands balled into fists while she still hugged her knees. Marie's legs stretched out in front of her, her feet moving left and right as she leaned back and propped herself up on her elbows. Neither girl looked away from the gray sky for what seemed like hours.