Chapter 2: An Unexpected Surprise

Melanie

Of course, I couldn’t get that little “wife” comment out of my head. It’s driving me fucking insane, the idea of me being his… wife. I mean, I hate marriage. I hate the idea of it and I think it’s so freaking stupid, and just the thought of it makes me want to puke. But Chresanto’s stupid comment has me thinking about it and maybe how it wouldn’t be all that bad.

I walk downstairs and, thank God, he’s not here. I wave to everyone and there’s a loud thunder clap outside that makes me jump. “Sweet jesus…” I mumble under my breath.

“Aw shi, it’s freakin pouring outside, we can’t do anything today.” Jacob pouts on his usual position on the couch. Bella is snuggled all up next to him. “We could all watch a movie..” She says. Christina chimes in and Dan says, “Sounds cool.” I sit next to him, because I’m not very hungry. I haven’t really talked to him since they’ve gotten here.

“What’s up Dan.” I smile. He opens his mouth to answer, but Bella announces that she’s going to get blankets and Christina goes to get some socks on. Jacob gets up to the movie case to look for something for us to watch and starts talking. “So Melanie,” He says, scanning the myriad of movie titles I’ve compiled over the years. “When you and Roc getting back together, hm?”

His question leaves me stunned. “Jacob,” I laugh nervously. “We aren’t… what gave you that idea?”

“Well, you two have already gone on a date…”

“It wasn’t a date.”

“Okaaaaay surrrrrre.” He picks out some scary movie (we all like scary movies, obviously) and pops it in the DVD player. “Well, if you weren’t planning on getting back together, maybe you should.”

“And why is that?”

“The guy’s miserable. He hasn’t been the same since back then, Mel I’m tellin you. Now I don’t know if it’s because of you or not but shit it’s worth a try, don’t you think?”

I roll my eyes.  Instead of actually thinking of the things Jake’s telling me, I feel so sorry for Dan, who can only sit and watch. I feel like we leave him out on a lot of things. Christina and Isabella return and we turn the lights off. Right before we hit play, Chresanto swings open the front door. He has a brown paper bag in his hand, which he throws at me. “Special gift from me to you, since you seemed to enjoy yourself last night. Oh, and Dylan says hi.”

I open it and it’s a bag of weed. Lol. “Is that’s where you’ve been?”

“Nah I’ve been handling a few other things too.” He says with a wink. Oh lord, what’s he up to now? “So what we doin?”

“Watchin a movie so sit down and shut up.” Jacob says, wrapped around Bella under one blanket.

Chris rolls his eyes and sits down close to me. Later on into the movie, I subconsciously lay on his shoulder, and almost immediately his arm wraps around me.

--

When the movie is over and done with, we all disperse. Jacob and Bella go up to the room they are sharing (to do God knows what) and Christina remains on the couch, tapping away at her laptop. Daniel excuses himself and says he has a “few things to pick up.” However, Chris and I stay in our positions, me laying on his chest with his arm around me. I don’t say anything at first, trying to soak up all the warmth before it has to be over. Right when I’m about to get up, he talks. “Y’know Mel, you are the only person in this world that still calls me Chresanto. Even Christina over there calls me Roc now.”