Chapter 18: A Past Relationship

Chersanto

Now, I have several options here. First, I could tell her the truth. The whole truth. This is probably the best thing to do, and I know it’ll cause less problems. I could also tell her who Desiree was, and leave some, uh, details out, so technically I’ll still be telling the truth. Or a could lie and say Desiree was just another girl I was messing with and doesn’t really matter. Last but not least, I could pretend I have no idea who she’s talking about. Whichever one I choose, just remind me to kill Ki’loni later.

“What?” I stall, trying to give myself more time to figure out what the hell I’m going to say.

She’s quiet for a minute. “Hm. Nevermind. I’m sure I don’t wanna know anyway.”

I subtly let out a huge breath of air. Thank the good Lord. I’m pretty sure whichever option I chose I would have hell to pay. “Ok.”

--

The following day at practice, when I see Ki’Loni I immediately scowl. “Hey.” She nudges me on the shoulder. I shrug her off and walk away.

“What?”

“You know what.”

“No, I really don’t know wh-“

“Why did you tell Mel about Desiree?”

“Excuse me?” She tries to act like she doesn’t know what I’m talking about. “I didn’t say anything about Desiree to her.”

“That’s a damn lie. She told me you did.”

“Okay, now that’s a damn lie. Why would I? I know you don’t want me to.”

“Ki’loni, I’m standing here telling you that she said that you told her about Desiree. Why you lying in my face right now?” I say, getting rather irritated.

“And I’M standing here telling you that I didn’t. Maybe she’s lying.

“How is that possible?? How would she even know who Desiree was if someone hadn’t told her???”

“I don’t know! I’m not the only one who knows about her, you know. Maybe your bestie Princeton let it slip and told her to blame it on me. You know he’s not my biggest fan.”

I shake my head. “He wouldn’t do that.” I walk back over to her. “Ki’loni. Don’t lie to me. Did you so much as mention Des to Melanie last night?” I say slowly.

She’s got this mean look on her face. “No.” She says with an attitude and walks away to warm up in front of the mirrors.

Well if she didn’t tell her, how the hell does she know??

--

The rest of the week, there’s no talk about any exes. Not Trey, not Desiree, not anybody. It’s nice, but I’m worried about what Melanie does or does not know, and how she found out. I mean, D is long gone so I’m not exactly worried about her running into us or her showing up at my doorstep or anything. Still. “Would you stop? It looks fine.” I say to Melanie as she fixes the collar to my suit. We’re performing in them for Ellen today.

“What is your problem? You’ve been snappy all week.” She says, releasing me.

“Sorry. It’s just… stress.” It’s the truth, but not the whole truth. That doesn’t count as lying does it?

“Stress about what? You told me you loved this lifestyle.” She says and starts to look concerned. Worst part is, I can’t ask her about Desiree because bringing it up would make her curious and then I’d have to tell her about it. I respond with, “I do. I’m just a little stressed out right now, okay?” I say and walk off to go join the boys on the stage. They’re talking and laughing with a few people kissing up to them. Turns out I don’t want to do that either, so I turn back around and take the exit backstage so I can get some fresh air. I hear the door open and close behind me and I immediately know who it is. “Mel…”