Chapter 25: The Memories

Chresanto

Have you ever had that feeling where it feels like your heart has stopped, or maybe even completely disappeared and it’s not in your chest anymore and it’s replaced by the entire universe and it all weighs down on you and it’s so heavy that its crushing you from the inside out, and you want to scream for help but you can’t move and you’re dying from the inside but you’re looking around and everyone is going about like everything’s normal?

Yea.

That’s the exact feeling I got when the doctors came out and told me that Melanie didn’t make it.

Everyone else had a normal reaction though. Princeton’s natural instinct when he’s nervous is to scream at whoever’s in charge, so he starts yelling at the doctors. Telling them they didn’t do their job right. Diggy runs to the nearest trash can and throws up. Mariah cries out and starts sobbing profusely calling out Melanie’s name. Me? All I can do is sit in the same position I was sitting in, a can of coke in one hand, my phone in the other. I think I blank out, cause time seems to skip ahead and suddenly Prince is shaking me, telling me it’s time to go.

“Come on Roc. It’s time to go.” He says, but he sounds like he’s really far away. “Roc.” He says when I don’t answer. I would, but the universe is in my throat too and it’s still crushing me. So I can’t move or speak. “Dammit Roc we gotta leave!” He says and kicks over a chair. He storms out the waiting room.

“Roc.” Isabella stands in front of me, tissues in one hand and the other is resting on my shoulder. “Please,” She says sweetly. I look up at her and she’s got tear stains all over her face and her eyes are red. “Please.” She says and her voice breaks.

As I’m sitting in the back of Prince’s car, I think about the first time I ever met her. It’s not like I could forget.

I was in the living room, fooling around with Leilani. I was supposed to be helping her move in. Suddenly, a door opens and she steps out, wearing only underwear. Hot damn was all I could think. Baby got body. I quickly hopped off Lani and stood up. I noticed her checking me out and I smirked.

Before I know it we’ve pulled up to our house. Well, my house now. I look at it and try to take deep breaths so it doesn’t quite feel like I’m suffocating, but that doesn’t go too well. What’s happening? Is this real? She’ll be in here with a big goofy smile, saying that it was all a joke and that she’s fine, right?

Prince and Isabella whisper some things up in the front seat. Then Princeton looks back at me and then back to her. They both take off their seat belts and get out. “Come on.” Prince says after he opens my door for me. “I know it’s hard, man. Come on.” His voice cracks. I get out the car and pull the key out my pocket. I think about the exact time when I knew Mel was the girl for me.

Her ex-boyfriend Rayan was trying to talk to her, and I told him to back off. I did not like him. He cheated on her. He tried to hurt her. I stood up, telling him she wanted him to leave her alone and to back off. We shoved and he pissed me off. I was *this* close to beating his ass and making him a patient in the hospital, but I knew that I would look like a fool if I did, so I refrained. To let off steam I went down to chill at my car. Being alone was something that always worked to calm me down. A few minutes of being alone and I saw her walking towards me. I shook my head to myself, because just a second ago I told her I just wanted to be friends and she said she wasn’t interested. She nudged me in my shoulder and told me I was cute when I was mad and I smiled and rolled my eyes, but I was grateful she was down here trying to make me feel better. For some reason, that was the moment I knew she was the girl I wanted to be with. That she was the one for me. And I have never been more right about anything in my life.