Chapter 10: A Talk

Chapter 10: A Talk

Chresanto

It takes everything I have in me not to smile at the fact that Daniel is just fucking up so badly right now. It’s quite amusing to me. I take our bags upstairs to Melanie’s room and set them down and go back downstairs. Melanie’s on the phone, drilling someone with questions, so it’s probably Mariah. “Did she say anything to you about me? Or Daniel?.... Ok that is NOT true!!! Mariah, don’t listen to a word she says!! Dan wouldn’t do that! No, you’re NOT her friend and you need to make that clear! UGHHHHhH. Fine, at lunch. BYE.” She angrily hangs up the phone.

I walk in the kitchen to grab a bag of chips and sit down next to Princeton on the couch and watch t.v with him. Melanie comes and sits down next to me. “You wanna know what Mariah just told me about Leilani and Dan???” She asks, ready to ramble.

“Not really, no.” I say blankly.

She scoffs.

“I don’t give a shit about them Mel. You shouldn’t either.”

“But-“

“I really don’t care.” I cut her off before she can reply.

She gives me this really mean and menacing glare. “Well I really wish you would stop sulking and get over yourself.” She states and begins to walk away, but I catch her arm. “Excuse me???” I say. “Get over myself???

“Um, yes.” She says in a smart-ass tone.

“I basically tell you I want to spend the rest of my life with you, you say ‘no Chris it’s not my thing mehhh’” I mimick her voice. “And you want me to get over myself??!?”

“Woah what are you two talking about?” Jacob says from the couch.

“Mind your own business.” Melanie snaps at him, and then turns back towards me. “You knew how I felt about marriage. You knew.

“Marriage? Okay, I’m-“

“SHUT UP.” We both yell at him at the same time. I grab Melanie’s arm and start to take her upstairs where we can discuss this in private. When we reach the stairs she snatches away from me. “Don’t grab me like that.” She says with an attitude. Ooooo she is so lucky I love her ass. She walks up and I follow behind her. When we get to her room I shut the door behind me. “Why do you do this to me Mel? Huh??”

“Do what Chresanto.” She folds her arms.

“I’m getting sick of telling you things that are very important to me and you treating it like it’s nothing. I mean really?”

She sighs. “I’m not trying to do that.”

I take a step towards her. “You didn’t even think about it. You just said a flat out no, like it wasn’t anything at all.”

“Chris.” She shakes her head. “I didn’t have to. You know-“

“STOP saying that. Yes- I knew how you felt about marriage. That’s why I wanted to give you time to think about it.”

“I don’t need to think about it.” She scowls.

I grab her by the waist and pull her up against me. “I love you.” I whisper. “I love you, Melanie Denise Brown. You mean everything to me. I don’t want to lose you again and I want to marry you. Don’t you trust me? I don’t get why you’re so scared.”

“I’m not scared.”

“Yes you are.”

She doesn’t say anything. Instead she just looks up at me and looks back and forth between my eyes. She’s thinking about something. “It’s just a piece of paper. People jump into marriages so quickly without really knowing what they’re getting into and then they want out. That’s why there’s so many divorces. I don’t want that to happen to us. I don’t see why you want this so badly. Getting married doesn’t make us anymore together than we are now. Again, it’s just a piece of paper.”