Chapter 14: A Pregnancy Test

Chresanto

My knee bounces up and down nervously as we sit in the doctor’s office waiting for her to get here.

Please stop that, Chresanto.” Melanie says, annoyed.

I don’t care.  I continue to do it. She’s the reason we’re in this situation in the first place.

Two days ago when I brought her back home, we argued again.

**

“Stop grabbing me like that!” She said as I dragged her in the house. Yes, I’ll admit I was being a little aggressive, but I was pissed off. If she wanted to act like a child that’s how I was gonna fucking treat her.

“Melanie, shut the hell up.” I growled back at her. We walked through the front door and Prince was on the couch. When he saw her, he stood up with an angry look on his face.

“Where the hell were you?” Even though he probably wouldn’t tell her, he was just as worried as I was.

“She was over Mariah’s house.” I said without letting go of her arm. I started pulling her up the stairs but she tried to fight me off. As if she could match my strength. She started swatting and kicking at me so I lifted her up over my shoulder. She tried kicking and hitting my back, but it was no use. “Chresanto August put me down!”

“I said shut the hell up Melanie!” My voice booms throughout the entire house.

I put her down after carrying her into her room and shutting and locking the door. She pushes me and I fall into the door. “How dare you think you can just handle me like that?? I’m not your fucking kid.” She glares at me. I push her right back.

Now, I’d never hit her. Ever. I have a temper, yes, and sometimes I can’t control it that well, but I’d never put my hands on her in that way. Yes, I grab her harshly when I’m angry but that’s different. That’s me putting my foot down. Melanie is so god damn stubborn, she needs someone to push her around and show her who’s boss. But I’d never hit her, even though right now that’s exactly what I wanna do.

She looks stunned when I push her, but the look is quickly replaced by anger and she pushes me even harder. We go back and forth shoving each other until I shove her hard enough to where she falls on the bed. “Leave me alone.” She says like a little kid.

“Melanie, I know what I said was hurtful. But you know I didn’t mean it and it’s pissing me the fuck off that you won’t just admit it. I’m sick of being the only one who has to apologize when you’re the one who made the first offense.”

“I don’t know what you meant Chresanto! Because last time-“

“THIS ISN’T LIKE FUCKING LAST TIME! THINGS ARE DIFFERENT!”

“I’M NOT GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING! I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING WRONG!”

I slam my fist on the bed next to her leg and she jumps. “Why are you so selfish??? Why don’t you ever think about what I might feel or what I may think??? Dammit, Melanie that’s not how relationships work! I know you got hurt but you need to MOVE ON! I’m not here to fucking hurt you!”

“I’m not selfish. I have my reasons-“

“Right now you are being one of the most selfish females I have ever met.”

She gets this look of hurt on her face.

“BUT I know you’re not really like that, Mel. I know you can be different. I know you just have your guard up all the time. I KNOW that being selfish isn’t who you really are, so I’m begging you to stop.”