Chapter 19: A Smack

Chapter 19: A Smack

It happens in the blink of an eye, so I don’t have time to process it. My eyes tear up quickly, but not because I’m sad. It’s because of the intense pain caused by the impact of of Chris’ palm hitting. My. Face.

He just hit me.

“Ow! Chris!” I yell out and quickly wrap my hand over my right cheek and step back a few steps. Holy fucking shit.

He stands there, a look of utter shock on his face. “Oh my god… Mel, I-” He steps forward and tries to take a look at my cheek but I take a huge step back.

“Don’t you fucking touch me!” I say through my tears. Like I said, I can’t process anything right now. All I can think is this bitch actually hit me. I can’t believe it. I can’t even-

He steps back, his hands up in surrender, the look of shock now mixed with obvious sorrow and regret. Yea, the tears definitely aren’t from sadness, because right now I am fucking livid. “HAVE YOU LOST YOUR DAMN MIND???” I yell, still holding the side of my face. I march towards him. “YOU WANNA PUT YOUR FUCKING HANDS ON ME?!? HOW DARE YOU?! YOU GONNA BE ON YOUR WIFE JUST LIKE YOUR FUCKING FATHER, CHRIS?!?” I shove him as hard as I can and he stumbles backwards. He’s being smart by not saying anything right now. However, the shoving isn’t enough for me. Nope. I slap him back as hard as I can. I’ve slapped him before, but it’s never been as hard as this time. I leave a red mark on the side of his face. I’m sure I have one too. “I cannot believe this.” I laugh sarcastically and turn an’ walk the other way. I’m packing my fucking stuff and leaving.

“Melanie I swear to God I didn’t mean to-“He says, right on my heel. I turn around and knee him right in the package and he cries out and falls to the ground in pain. I never thought I’d do that to him. Never. Lord knows last thing I wanna see is Chresanto in pain. But he just hit me, and that is not acceptable. I will not be slapped around by anybody.

“DON’T SAY ONE GODDAMN WORD TO ME, CHRESANTO. I AM DONE WITH YOU.” I yell in his face as he hunches over on the ground. I stomp up the stairs and into our bedroom, locking the door behind me. I quickly reach for my suitcase that’s under the bed and start shoving my clothes in there. I run into the bathroom and grab all my hygiene stuff in sight and throw it in there as well. I throw the suitcase down the stairs and go back to the room, scanning for his car keys. I find them on his dresser and snatch them up. After putting my suitcase in the truck, I return back to the house to get Rocky and a few other items.

“Where are you going, Mel?” He says quietly, standing by the door with his hands stuffed in his pockets, staring at the ground. His eyes are rimmed with tears. Guess how many fucks I give? Zero.

“Far away from you.” I say, leading Rocky to the car by his leash.

He sighs and closes his eyes, but he doesn’t say anything else. I guess he doesn’t have any fight left in him. At another time, my heart would shatter into a million pieces at the sight of him tearing up. Right now however, I’m fucking (excuse my excessive swearing right now. But I’m sure you can understand) glad his coward ass is crying. Smacking me? Really??! “Please- I’m begging you..” He says to me when I reach the door again, his voice cracking and tapering off.

I look into his eyes, not intimidated in the least bit. Right now, the only thing I feel is anger, hatred, betrayal, and regret. I regret ever doing this shit with him. Had I known he was the type of man that would ever do that to a woman, believe me this relationship would have ended a long time ago. “Fuck. You.” I say lastly and climb right in his truck and take off.

--

I wake up the next morning in a hotel. I wasn’t about to drive to Jacob’s house. I’m sick of him always being in the middle of our business. I pick up the hotel phone and order some room service breakfast, then I put some water in Rocky’s bowl. I sit at the edge of the bed and hold my head in my hands. “Dammit.” I sigh out loud. I want so desperately for last night to be a dream. God knows I love that man to death. But he can’t hit me. We aren’t doing that.