Chapter 11: A Fourth of July Party

Chresanto

Melanie gets home at the time she usually does and I notice she’s still wearing my watch, which causes me to smile. She told me she doesn’t wear stuff on her wrist because she always ends up fidgeting with it and losing it. She smiles when she sees me. “Hello. Where’s everybody?” She comes and sits on my lap, throwing her purse down on the floor.

“Uhhh, Princeton and Isabella went out. Me and Christi are watching a movie right now, she just went to the bathroom.” I respond and she glances at the T.V screen and back to me.

“Where’s Rocky?”

“Sleep.” I point across the room where he fell asleep earlier. She goes over there. “Melanie don’t wake him up!” I laugh. She’s always messin with him when he wants to be left alone.

“But I hawevent seen hwim awl day.” She picks him up with both hands and coos. She’s so fucking cute when she does that. She sits back down next to me and starts playing with him. When she notices me watching her she puts him in my face and we both laugh. I hear Christina coming out of the restroom behind us.

“Roc I think I’m gonna go to sleep for the night. Night Mel.” She says, not sounding tired at all. I think she just wanted to leave Mel and I alone.

Melanie finally puts Rocky back down so he can go back to sleep and we both watch him. “He’s the cutest thing ever. He’s honestly the best present anyone has ever given to me, Chresanto. I love you for that.” She rests her head on my shoulder.

“Just for that, hm?” I joke and she laughs.

“Yes. That is the sole reason I love you.”

After a few moments of silence she snuggles her head even more into me and scoots closer. “I missed you today. What’d you do?”

“It was boring. I really wish you’d just quit already so you can stay here with me.”

She laughs a little. “I can’t just quit.”

“Why not? You’re gonna have to soon anyway, might as well do it now.”

“Why am I gonna have to quit soon huh?”

“When you come back to California with me. Der.”

She looks up at me. Shit. I swear it’s like walking on fucking paper thin ice around this girl.

“What makes you think I’m coming to California with you??”

“I don’t do long distance relationships, babe.”

“Well neither do I,” she says with an attitude. “But why can’t you just stay down here? I mean- I can’t just leave-“

“I’m not staying down here. Plus if I wanna keep my career going and keep making money I need to be in L.A. I mean, I thought all this was common sense.”  I reply and she frowns. Jesus. “Jeez, Mel I’m not tryna make you angry… I just thought that it was already understood between the both of us.”

“I’m not mad.” She blinks.

“Ye-“

“No Chris I promise I’m not. I just never thought about it like that.” She states and rests her head back on my shoulder. “I promise I’m not.”

I click the t.v off. “Good. You get mad at me so much I hate it.” I turn so that my back is leaning against the arm of the chair and I’m laid out across it. Melanie adjusts so that she’s straddling me.