1. Late Night Drive

1. Late Night Drive

The one thing about driving is that it can free you from life for a little while. But at the same time it can leave you to your thoughts if you're not focused. Where do I fit out of the two options? I used to be Option A, where I escape life by driving. But I'm now Option B, where my mind is running all over the place.

Even with the life I'm living, I'm not guaranteed something normal or stable, like a boyfriend. Fucking douchebag, thinking that I was stupid enough to not realize what was going on. He's lucky I hadn't killed him; he got away with a merciful kick-out. I hope to never see that fucking bastard again. Screw me once, you barely make it out alive. Screw me twice, well, it's a no brainer.

I let the angry tears fall as I drive in the dark. I want to stop crying, but I can't. I'm too pissed, too upset to stop. Is he the best thing to happen to me for a while? Sure. But is he someone worth crying over like this when he screwed me over? Hell no. I can manage without him; I've been on my own since I ditched my family after high school graduation. I never looked back.

With one hand firmly on the wheel, I use the other to wipe my face. I'm not a vengeful person, but I feel like I might become one tonight. We had a good thing, and he tore it down with one woman. Have I ever met her? No. I've seen texts and made deductions. For her sake, she better hope I never meet her. He didn't deny his involvement with her. I'm just glad he didn't go into detail, the police would've arrested me for murder.

My headlights don't catch it until I'm almost on top of it. I don't scream, I jerk my truck hard to the left, forcing myself off the road and into the woods. I slam on the brakes and hold my breath. I stop just a few feet from making a head-on collision with a huge tree. I'm glad I didn't have a life-flashing-before-my-eyes moment. I wasn't ready for that near-death experience. I want to save it for a worthy death, as weird as that sounds. If not a worthy death, I'll peacefully go in my sleep from natural causes.

I let out a shaky squeak of relief. I look through my mirrors to see a shadow in the darkness. Acting quickly, I dig for a flashlight, unbuckle myself, and fly out of my truck, stumbling back towards the road. My light wiggles from my unstable hand. Did I almost hit something? Someone?

I almost fall to the ground from shock, but I keep forcing myself onwards. No other cars pass by, so my light is the only one around to help me. I try to regulate my heart as I look for what I could have hit. Please, God, let it be an animal, not a person.

I flinch once my light lands on him. I don't advance; I hang back and watch him carefully. My brown eyes narrow in suspicion. He looks homeless to me, with the baggy hoodie and now-torn shirt underneath. His dark hair is askew, not really doing him any favors. He's on all fours, about to get onto his feet, I think.

"The hell are you doing in the road?" I ask slowly, looking around. It's just us here.

Yeah, because that's not creepy at all.

He pulls his head up to acknowledge me. I'm met with intense, ocean-blue eyes. For some reason, they look aged, like this man has seen a lot for his time. It's hard to estimate his age, probably around 30s if I have to guess.

"Do you realize you could have gotten killed?" I raise my voice.

"Yes, I am very well aware of that." His voice is low and gruff, not what I expect to come out of him. "This isn't my first almost run-in with a vehicle."

"So you've almost been roadkill before?" I approach him, bend down, and offer him a hand. He looks at me questioningly. "I don't bite. Take it or leave it."