34. "I'll See You Soon."

Defeated, tired, the four of us enter the bunker. I can feel the tension still, even after I'd self-medicated with air and music on the drive back here.

"So, Dean, uh...are we gonna talk about this, or what?" Sam breaks the silence.

"About what? Yeah, I lied, but you were being an infant."

"Wow," I deadpan. "Even for you, that apology sucked."

"Oh, I'm not apologizing. I'm telling you how it's gonna be."

"Dean, that Blade—"

"That Blade's the only thing that can kill Metatron, and I am the only one who can use it...so from here on out, I'm calling the shots. Capiche? Look, until I jam that Blade through that douchebag's heart, we are not a team. This is a dictatorship. Now, you don't have to like it, but that's how it's gonna be."

Sam walks away from the argument, but I don't. I'm very tempted to hash it out with my big brother. I want to fight him on this, I really do, but I can't find the motivation to do or say anything. Today has wiped me out in all aspects. I just want to lie down and sleep this off, or just drown it out with music or maybe even alcohol.

Eventually, I stalk off silently back to my room, dropping off my bag of weapons near my bed. I run my fingers through my scalp, trying to calm myself down. I don't like this Dean I'm seeing. I know the Mark of Cain is behind his change. There's no other explanation.

This Dean I see is a downright dick, and I know my brother is not like that all of the time. Some of the time, yes, but those are spurts, and those spurts are manageable. I've never wanted to go after my older brother so much before in my life. Maybe it's because I'm fed up with his shit that he keeps doing.

"Hey, Jo?"

"Oh, hey, Sammy," I say tiredly, rubbing my face.

"You walk away too?"

I snort. "Had no choice." I stretch. "Hungry?"

"Food couldn't hurt."

I feel my mood rise a bit. "All right, let's see what we can do."

We walk in-step beside each other to the kitchen. We only pick at junk food. Junk food and a can of beer is not exactly the dinner of champions, but it's enough to settle my stomach. I resist the urge to raid the fridge and take all the beers hostage in my room.

"He's gone off the rails," I mutter as I throw the empty chip bag away. "And I have a bad feeling he's only gonna get worse the longer that mark is on his arm."

"Once we deal with Metatron, we find a way to get that thing off him. He won't need it once Metatron's gone."

I nod in agreement. "I swear that mark gives him mood swings. Like, he'd made up with me after he killed Abaddon, after he'd been all psycho moments before."

"He was probably trying to soften you up, Jo."

"Dean isn't about that though."

"A lot's changed since you were around."

I groan. "I know." I lean against the table. "And that's what scares me. Cas tried to play God, you were soulless for a bit, and now Dean has the Mark of Cain." I rub my temples. "If I got caught up, my head would explode."