30. Cleveland, Ohio

30. Cleveland, Ohio

Dean called Crowley once we were back on the road. In turn, Crowley gave us his location: Humboldt Hotel, located in Cleveland, Ohio.

The drive takes us into day. Since we'd left Cas's command center, I'd taken my truck and followed the Impala to our destination.

Once we arrive at the hotel, I'm armed with my batons, Sam has the First Blade in hand for precaution. We observe what we're getting ourselves into.

"All right," says Sam. "Let's do this."

"Wait, wait, wait," Dean says. "Hold on a sec. We should give this place a once-over before we go up there. Crowley said he thought he saw some demons headed down to the basement. He'd have checked out himself, but if word got back to Abaddon that he'd been seen..."

"When did he say all this?" I ask.

"On the phone. Look, it might be that she knows that he's here, okay? So why don't you and Sam check the basement? I'll, uh, take a look on the main floor."

"Are you sure, Dean?"

"I'll be fine, Jo."

"I don't know..."

"Sam, the Blade."

I watch with guarded brown eyes as Sam gives Dean the Blade. Once we enter the hotel, we part ways. Sam and I head downwards while Dean heads up.

I have an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Something's bound to go wrong here. Something's bound to. Dean and the First Blade seem like a good plan in theory, but in reality it's dangerous.

It's an empty hotel, Sam and I find. It's probably because most of the staff is either possessed or dead. I shake my head as I accompany my little brother. Times have changed. Before I left my family, I barely knew a lot about what Dad did. I didn't realize his prey was so vast. Now, it seems, in the time that I've come back, angels exist, and even angels aren't considered the good guys. Hunters seem to be the only sheriffs in town.

"You think this is a trap?" I ask Sam quietly.

"I'm not ruling it out," he admits.

"I'm worried about Dean, Sam. With that Blade."

"Me too."

I sigh through my nose. I cringe at the memory of Dean decapitating Magnus. How his head rolled on the floor and his body collapsed like a heavy sack of flour. How Magnus had turned Dean into this, all by giving him the First Blade.

We search the basement, and I don't know about Sam, but I'm not finding anyone jumping out at me. I don't find demons calling backup to capture my brother and I. Maybe this is legit. Maybe this isn't a trap. Maybe...

I stop. If nobody's here in the basement, that has to mean...

"Sam!" I whisper-shout.

"What's wrong?"

"We need to get upstairs, now." I turn tail and head back upwards to ground level. I look around, trying to remember the direction Dean went. "Shit."

"We'll find him," Sam assures me. Although, I don't know if he's just telling himself that or me, or the both of us. I hope it's for the both of us. Ugh, Cas, you could be a big help right now.