19. Family Matters

19. Family Matters

I can already feel the heartbreak even before we arrive at the bunker. I've got Ms. Tran in the back with me as Dean drives us back. She's silent, and I don't blame her.

The bleeding has stopped on my neck, but having a cut there aggravates me. A damn demon tried to kill me. Tried to make me look weak. I'm a fucking Winchester. Weak is not in our blood. Weak is not in my damn vocabulary.

Since Ms. Tran and I have no real connection, I feel it's not my place to stay, so I find the closest bathroom to wash the blood off my neck. It's really just a scratch. He didn't hit anything critical. But he would have. The demon would have killed me.

Why are demons stupid enough to pick a fight with me? Is it because I'm female? Because they assume that I'm the weakest? My bloodline and last name say different. But of course, the demon hadn't known who I was. I probably set myself up to be ripe for the picking on that one.

What are you up to, Cas? I have to wonder. What's so important that you're not here? It's strange now, to not have him around. I guess I got so accustomed to him that there's a slight void when he's gone. I feel like I should be with you, even if you've got some angel mojo back.

I exit the bathroom, seeking out the kitchen. I need something to take my mind off of things. Making food curbs the focus on bad thoughts.

I'm digging through our inventory. Nothing really jumps out at me. I don't want coffee, I don't want to stay awake all night.

"You okay, Jo?" asks Sam.

I wince. "Yeah, I'm...I'm fine." I sniff. "Just a little hungry. How're things going out there?"

"Dean's with Ms. Tran."

I nod. "Everything gonna get taken care of?"

"Yeah, Kevin will go with her."

"How'd she take it, seeing him?"

"About as well as you'd expect her to."

I lean against the table. "Sam...did you, Dean, and Dad ever think that—that...?"

"You were dead?" He shrugs. "After some time, we...forgot about you. Like...you weren't part of the family."

"Understandable," I say slowly, feeling ashamed. "I always hoped none of you got yourselves killed. I hoped for the best for you guys." I laugh apathetically. "Look where my hope got you. Dad's dead, Bobby's gone, practically all the hunters I remember are dead, except you two." I sigh through my nose. "Makes me wish all these creatures didn't exist. Nobody would die as early as they had. Mom would still be here..."

"Sometimes, I wish that too," Sam admits quietly, stepping into the kitchen. "But we can't change it."

"No, we can't. Say, you or Dean wouldn't happen to know where Cas ran off to, would you?"

"No. He comes and goes on occasion. We'll meet up with him again at some point. It's just part of how things have been working lately. You don't have to worry about him, Jo. Cas can take care of himself."

"Not when he's human he can't," I deadpan. "That's how he got dumped into my lap." I brush my hair with my fingers. "So...you and Dean...?"

"We're not brothers again, if that's what you're gonna ask."

I groan.

"Don't give me that. Josette, if you were around all these years with us, you would understand why Dean and I are where we are. He's lied to me so many times."

"To protect you."

Sam scoffs. "Sure, 'protect' me."

"Like you wouldn't do the same to keep Dean safe?" I play devil's advocate.

"I wouldn't do some of the things he'd be willing to. Wouldn't you be fed up with him, Jo, if he constantly lied to your face?"

I bite my lip, rubbing my ear.

"Wouldn't that just shatter your trust completely with him, after trying to convince yourself that it's just a fluke, that it'll never happen again?"

"Okay, okay," I say shortly. "I see your point, Sam." I rub my temple. "But you have to see where he's coming from."

"I do, but it's hard to put trust back in him. We'll do hunts together, sure, but we won't be brothers. And trying to play therapist with us won't change anything in a snap."

"If only things worked out that way, but you two are so stubborn..." I shake my head. "So, what? I just take a backseat and watch as you two maybe attempt to rebuild the broken bridge?"

"We don't need a mediator."

"Said every couple who needs help, ever." I roll my eyes. "Fine, I'll keep my distance. But I'll warn you now, I can't help if little spurts of therapist come out in me. Now, do you want me to whip you up something while I'm in here? Like old times?"

Sam goes to sit at the table, rubbing his face. "Sure."

"Any preferences?"

"Take your pick. What's ours is yours, Jo."

* * *

Bang. Bang. I cock the gun, kill shot. Bang-bang. I scowl.

It's been days since we found Kevin's mother and reunited the two. Since then, Kevin's been gone with his mother, his spirit attached to a ring that belonged to his father. On my brothers' front, nothing's changed. It's strictly business between them, no brotherly love. And there's nothing I can do to change it.

I found the shooting gallery early this morning and decided to take a shot. I remember as a little girl I got rarely any gun time. Dean was the first of the Winchester siblings to be able to shoot a gun properly. When Sam was younger, he'd wanted to try, but Dad never let him. Dad tried to start training me, but I didn't like what it required.

How times have changed.

When I look at the paper targets at the far end of the room, I think about my ex and his lying ass. How he'd completely screwed our relationship over, screwed me over. He's lucky I can't find him, and that I've got bigger priorities at the moment. His ass would be grass about now.

I'm not saying I'd commit murder, but I'd definitely make him and his side-hoe have a reason to fear me.

I lick my lips, setting down the empty gun. It's the first time in a while I've thought about that scumbag. I've been preoccupied with family matters. He's not even a concern anymore. He's nothing to me now.

"Hey, you wanna air out?"

I back away from the station, finding Dean in the shooting gallery with me. "Got a case?"

"Yeah. You want in?"

I shrug. "I got nothing else to do." I abandon the shooting gallery, falling in line besides my older brother. "What are we getting into?

"Case in Washington." Dean hands me a piece of paper. "Photo from the crime scene." In the selfie picture, there's a smiling girl. I take note of the creepy photobomber in the background. "Girl was killed in her room. Everything was locked."

"Who's the creep?"

"That's why I'm going to Washington."

"Is Sam coming along?"

"He is."

"So, it's just business now? Just hunting partners?"

"Don't start a session with me, Jo. Not in the mood."

I clamp my mouth shut. I know Sam didn't warn Dean about me, because those two aren't back to their normal selves with each other. It must be intuition or something. Or you came on too strong and gave off signs, dumbass. "So, what are we going as?"

"Agents, of course. Suit up."