13. Plan C

13. Plan C

Lugging in Sam's body is the worst part, because he's so big. Top that off with the fear of having the angel wake up before we've set up.

I'm Crowley's guard as Castiel and Dean help strap Sam's body down into a chair. He's got warded cuffs on, so any power that he has won't help him here.

"What's that?" I ask as Sam's head is garbed in some weird headgear. His head and chin are restrained. It doesn't look painful, but it doesn't look like sunshine and unicorns either.

"You'll find out soon enough, Josie," says Crowley. He's in a chair opposite Sam.

"I want to know now. It doesn't look good."

"It's how the demons got their information out of an angel a while back. Besides, who said anything about torturing being good?"

"You mean this is a torture weapon?" I look at Dean. "Uh-uh. We can't let this happen to Sam when he doesn't even know what's going on!"

"Look, I'm not happy about this either, but it's the only shot that we have right now," says Dean.

I scowl.

"Welcome to the party, pal," says Dean as Not-Sam starts to come back to us. "Cas, how we lookin'?"

"Most of Sam's internal burns have healed," Castiel reports. "I should be able to fix the rest." Momentary silence. "What's your name? I thought I knew every angel in Heaven, but I've never seen you."

"Why would I tell you anything?" hisses Not-Sam.

"Well, I don't give a damn who you are," Dean snaps. "You need to get out—now!"

"And if I don't?"

"Then you and I will have a lovely little playdate," Crowley murmurs.

"Even bound, I can rip this body apart. Tell them, Castiel."

"You do, you die," I say threateningly.

"You want this to end? Go ahead. Put a blade through your brother's heart. If it makes you feel better, I have Sam locked away in a dream. As far as he knows, the two of you are working a case right now—something with ghouls and cheerleaders. As far as he's concerned, his sister is out of the picture."

"Why are you doing this, huh?" asks Dean. "We fought together. And I trusted you. I thought you were one of the good guys!"

"I am doing what I have to do."

"Well, so am I." Dean nods to Crowley.

Castiel holds me back when he notices my jump at Crowley grabbing a large thick needle from the tray we set up.

"So am I," murmurs Crowley.

I don't know how I watch as Crowley sticks the needle into Not-Sam's temple, starts moving it around. When Not-Sam screams, I'm so convinced that Sam is the one being hurt, not the angel inside of him.

"It has to be done," Castiel tells me as Crowley sticks another needle into Sam's head. This time, it's the forehead. Not-Sam continues to cry out and grunt in pain. Each noise I hear, I think it's my brother that's being hurt.

It brings me back to the question: what did we do to deserve this? Why did I bring myself back into this?

Crowley continues to push needles through my brother's forehead and his other temple. Castiel has me restrained. I want the in-pain noises to stop, but they don't. It's almost like the angel wants me to hear it, the pain. Like he wants to unsettle me as much as possible.