14. The Night That Changed Everything

It takes a while, but in the early hours of the morning, I've brought the three of us back to the bunker. Dishearteningly, the Impala is nowhere to be found. He's serious about going it alone. Let's see how it long it takes before he shows his face here again.

I'm lost in my thoughts as I follow Castiel and Sam into the bunker. I nearly trip down the stairs, catching myself with the railing. Sam doesn't know, but Castiel does. I give him an I'm-okay look. He doesn't seem very convinced.

"I assume you're staying over and heading out in the morning?" Castiel asks me as we go into the library section of the bunker. A section that hasn't really been cleaned up since Dean's—what I assume to be Dean's—explosion before I drove Castiel and myself here just yesterday. The broken lamp still lays on the floor, untouched.

I bite my lip. "I'm not too sure anymore, Castiel." I watch as Sam disappears down into the labyrinth of halls. "I mean, lately, with all that I've been pulled into..." I sigh. "I'm wondering if it's not worth the effort. If it's just better if I...I stay here and contribute."

Castiel looks at me strangely, blue eyes meeting brown. "But you told me from the time you found out what I am, you swore—"

"I know." I soften. "I know what I said. But with Gadreel getting away, I won't feel better until I know he's been taken care of. I can't know that when I'm back in Rexford."

"Someone could reach you and tell you."

"I'd want to see it for myself. It'd be the only way I'd be at peace."

"But what about your place, and all of your stuff?"

"I'll figure out something." I smile weakly. "How else do you think I've survived on my own for so long?"

"I'm not sure this is a good fit for you."

I sigh again. "I want to do this. I want to see Sam get better. We'll get to Gadreel first before Dean can."

"You're staying?" says Sam. He looks sleepy, blinking his eyes tiredly.

"Yeah, I guess I am, Sammy. Looks like I'm Dean's replacement."

"You bring anything with you?"

"Just my truck."

"Wow, so you're starting from scratch." Sam rubs the back of his head. "Uh, okay. Well, we've got plenty of spare rooms for you to take. What's ours is yours now, I guess. Just try not to get too lost in here, it's easy to."

"I suspected as much."

"I can show you around a bit, if you want. Or at least show you to a room."

"I think just finding me a room will work, Sam. We're both about to pass out."

I nod a goodbye to Castiel as I follow Sam down into the hall maze. It's silence between us as we open doors and peek into rooms. I guess with all the doors, it's hard to remember what rooms are what. We end up passing the kitchen, which is an open way, easy for me to find.

"They aren't much," says Sam as we're in hunt for my new room. "They're pretty plain. Once you get some things, you can make the room into what you want."

"Sam..." I rub my arm. "I know I was gone a long time..."

"Over ten years."