8. Caribou, Wyoming

8. Caribou, Wyoming

I feel very uncomfortable in this. Truthfully, I forgot just how much I hate dressing up like this. This goes beyond what I had to wear at my former job. But he roped me into it, damn it. I blame him, one hundred percent.

"I should have let you take a bus, or a plane," I say, gripping my truck's steering wheel tight. Castiel is in the seat opposite me, all dressed up. I'm way in over my head on this, but I couldn't go out in my regular clothes. I'd look so out of place at the crime scene.

Yes, you heard me correctly. Crime scene.

"The murders even got you interested, Josette," Castiel tells me neutrally. "Otherwise you wouldn't be driving me. And you said you didn't mind the drive anyway."

"You told me this while I was still half asleep! Remind me again how you scrapped this up?"

"I still have a badge that your brothers gave me, and you said you had something in your closet that was your ex-boyfriend's."

"I seriously must've been too tired to remember that." I yawn. "Well, maybe I can hand you off to them if they haven't already beaten us to the punch."

"You don't like my company?"

"Don't play that card on me, Castiel," I whimper. "Yes, I do enjoy your company, I will say that. It's just...you are associated with hunting. I swore off it. I don't want to be involved in it anymore." I grimace slightly. "I will miss you when you're gone, though. Just a little bit."

"And there's nothing I can say to change your mind?"

I shake my head. "Not a word, Castiel. Not a word."

Cop cars and caution tape at a roadhouse is what we pull up to. I flinch, feeling like I break a heel just stepping out of my truck.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I whisper as I lock up my truck.

"This isn't my first time with this, Josette. Follow my lead."

"I'm not sure that I should," I mutter.

"The Feds are here already?" one cops asks as we approach the scene.

"News travels fast," I say on our behalf. "Agents Smoak and Allen." We both flash our badges so quickly the cop can't ask us to hand over our IDs for him to check us out. "Mind if we get inside and take a look?"

"Who am I to say no to the Feds?" the cop chuckles. He leads us to the inside of the roadhouse. "It's a pretty bad sight in there. Hope neither one of you has a bad stomach."

My nose wrinkles at the smell of blood. There's blood everywhere, almost as if someone came in with a chainsaw and started hacking away. The bodies aren't around, so someone came to collect them prior. I'm trying to picture the massacre. How did it happen? More importantly, why?

The investigator in me takes over, and I find myself lumbering around the scene. Broken tables and chairs, broken glass. It's a warzone in here. Castiel wanted to come here because he believed this was angel-related. Is he even right? Well, it's possible, considering an entire population inside a roadhouse got slaughtered and the culprit—or culprits—are nowhere to be found.

"Ah, my colleagues," I hear Castiel say.

I find myself looking back at the former angel, and my mouth drops slightly. I was wondering when they'd come in. Sure enough, there are my brothers. Sam and Dean Winchester. Although they haven't noticed me yet, they have to have assumed I would bring Castiel to this damn roadhouse in Wyoming. The things I do for a stranger...