24. The Hunt for the First Blade

"Back in this fetid pit. Could have at least added some throw pillows."

"Sorry, no luxury in rehab," I say snidely.

We're back in the dungeon, where I first met Crowley. We've chained him back up, and Crowley had a lot to say to us about that. I brushed off his words. Sam and I are currently keeping Crowley company. Sam's laptop is keeping him company.

"Focus," Sam tells Crowley. "Okay. You swept the Mariana Trench. And...?"

"And the First Blade was not, as hoped, in the Trench," Crowley reports. "It had, in fact, been scooped up by an unmanned sub, from whom it was stolen by a research assistant, who reportedly sold it to Portuguese smugglers, who, in turn, lost it to Moroccan pirates in a poker game."

"What?"

"Poor moose. It's always a little tricky keeping up, isn't it?"

"Even I don't follow that. Couldn't have just simplified it a little bit?" I ask Crowley.

"But then that would make things too easy to follow, darling."

I cross my arms. "What's your game, Crowley?"

"If there was a game, the last person I'd want to tell would be you, Josie."

I cringe. Crowley's eyes have averted slightly to Sam. Sam, who catches Crowley staring at him. Even though I'm not receiving the attention, the demon's attention on my brother bothers me.

"What are you doing?" Sam asks Crowley.

"I'm still a little tainted by humanity. Makes me sentimental."

"Well, stop."

"You and I both know we shared a mo back in that church. And on some level, we are bonded. Did you tell Josie that, what's been going on since she's been away?" Crowley's eyes fall back onto me. "How much have your brothers told you?"

"Not the full story, but none of that is any of your concern," I snap. But I can't help but wonder what Crowley means. Is it even worth asking now or later?

"Crowley, the only reason you are alive is that we need your help to deal with Abaddon 'cause she is an even worse pile of crap than you are," says Sam. "And that is the extent of my concern for you. Got it? Okay. What happened after the pirates?"

Crowley's answer leads us to being out in the night, sitting on a park bench, decked out in FBI attire. I forget who we're supposed to be waiting for, but this someone can lead us closer to the First Blade that we really need to get our hands on.

We, of course, have to have the King of Hell tag along for this. I've got a careful eye on him, as he's snooping around vending machines a few yards away from my brothers and myself. We have to scold him like a dog when he tries to steal candy out of the machines. We meet this Develin guy, who isn't giving us much help. Crowley ends up sneaking into Develin's body via red smoke to get what we need from him.

Develin's extracted information leads us to Kansas City, Missouri, to the National Institute of Antiquities. When we get there hours later, we're met with a crime scene. We make sure Crowley is kept in the Impala while my brothers and I get out to investigate the scene. We're led into the room, where two security guards and a girl are all dead on the floor. Pictures are being taken and evidence is being accounted for.