6. Into the Fire

6. Into the Fire

"I don't understand," says Castiel. "Why are we doing this?"

It's one of Castiel's days off of work, so I figured I'd let him air out and experience the perks of being human. I figured the best way to start was going to a park.

"The best way to learn about being human is to be outside of the house," I say. "Nothing says outside like a park."

"I don't remember agreeing to do this."

"That's because I never gave you the option to." I stop at a light. "We'll make a day of it. I told Dean I was gonna take care of you, and this is how I'm doing it."

"You have a strange way of taking care of someone, Josette."

"Hey, I've got loads of free time, and you get only a few days off a week." I coax the truck into gear when the light turns green.

"Shouldn't we try to be helping Sam and Dean?"

"Castiel, remember what you told me a few nights ago?"

"That I'd respect your decision of staying out of the hunter life?"

I nod. "Exactly. And we're sticking to that." I turn right. "You need to become comfortable with who you are now. Just humor me and do this, okay?"

"I think I don't have a choice in the matter."

I smile. "You're right, you don't."

We're about five minutes out of the park when I see it, the billowing smoke. I can't tear my eyes away and find myself following it.

"Um, Josette?" Castiel asks. "I don't know if this is the right way..."

"It's not," I say, flicking my eyes between the smoke in the sky and the road. "We're taking a detour."

"To where?"

I hear the fire sirens now, the blaring horns of the firetrucks. I gravitate towards the obnoxious noise and follow it. I don't know why I do it. Logically, I should leave this to the firemen. They can handle it. It's their job to. But I find my truck pulling closer to the scene.

The smoke becomes more apparent, and now I can smell it. Before I know it, I can see it billowing out of an apartment complex. I pull over near a sidewalk opposite it and park the truck. I don't dial 911, because I know the firemen are coming. Someone's already probably beat me to the call, anyway. I pull myself out of the truck.

"Josette?" I hear Castiel shut his truck door. The gray smoke almost makes the complex hidden. I see patches of orange flare up through the smoke. "Josette, I'm sure this is going to be taken care of."

Sure enough, the red trucks come, and firemen rush out, yelling orders. I stay near the truck and wince as the flames shoot up suddenly, as though something from inside decided to explode. Two firemen rush inside while others get the hose ready to dowse the flames.

"What are we doing here?" Castiel asks. He's beside me. "Josette!"

I find myself crossing the street, nearly getting throttled by a car that's speeding. I flip them off as I reach the other sidewalk. I'm not the only one who's attracted towards the fire. Two firemen come out with an ash-covered woman, who's in hysterics and clutching a crying toddler in her arms. I sort of butt my way into the situation, even getting past a few firemen who are telling others to stay away and that the situation is still very dangerous.