37. "I'm Watching Out For You Now."

There are times where you feel your world is crashing down all around you. There are times where you feel hopeless as you watch it crumble before your very eyes.

This is the feeling that consumes me as I watch my baby brother hold our older brother's broken body to his chest, his sobs tearing through my soul even more. If I wasn't in such pain, I would be right with Sam, holding our bloody, dead brother.

"Sam," I rasp, gently touching my brother's shoulder. I find myself leaning into him, holding the wound in my stomach. "Sam..."

"Jo. Oh God, Jo." Sam awkwardly turns as I sit back. His face is full of pain and despair. "Shit, we gotta get you to a hospital."

Through our pain and tears, Sam carries Dean's body over his shoulders while he keeps a hold of me by my wrist. I think had Dean still lived, I would be the one over Sam's shoulders. The homeless that watch us leave have horror etched upon their faces. They probably think I look like the walking dead compared to Sam. Or, you know, it's totally possible that they're focused on Dean's limp body over Sam's shoulder. That could be worth their expressions.

Our walk takes forever, and it's a surprise how I don't collapse and bleed out onto the road. I gotta keep fighting, for Sam. He can't lose me too. The adrenaline that's been patching my pain is wearing off, and the intensity is bringing new rounds of hot tears to my eyes.

"We're almost there, Jo, almost there," Sam murmurs hurriedly. We come back to the Impala and my truck.

"Take Baby," I rasp. "We'll get my truck when I'm better."

I barely manage to get myself into the passenger side as Sam has the unfortunate duty of dumping Dean's corpse into the backseat of the Impala. He runs and throws himself into the driver's seat, cursing as he looks for the nearest hospital on his phone. I look up into the mirror, and Dean's body looks back at me.

"Dean..." I whimper, wishing I could be held by him.

I'm jolted around in the seat as Sam guns the Impala down the road, leaving my truck in the dust. I don't have a seatbelt on even though it's highly recommended. Sam keeps muttering things to himself, and I see the tear streaks down his face. I feel horrible for my little brother. In the midst of his own pain and mourning, he's got to drive me to a hospital. He should be mourning Dean.

If you were in better condition, he would be, says my conscience. But you just had to go in and try to help. Now look where you are. Bleeding out, just like Dean. On the verge of death, just like Dean.

The pain heats up, and I remember I've got two wounds, one in my back, and one in my stomach. I'm lucky to not have been paralyzed. But maybe that wasn't Metatron's intention. Maybe he did this on purpose. I twist uncomfortably in the seat.

"Jo?" Sam asks.

"It hurts," I moan.

"I know, we're going to get you help, okay? J-just hang on." Sam's voice breaks, and the pieces of my heart get torn apart even more.

I'm in such pain that I find myself crying Dean's name through my blubbering. He's not coming back. He's dead. Metatron killed him. He killed my brother. But he's not gonna kill me. I can't let him do that to Sam. I can't let Sam go through this. I can't...

Sam is flooring the gas. He keeps looking at me through the corner of his eye. I'm trying to not look in the backseat where we dumped Dean's lifeless body.