5| Attacked

After that was easy. I made the canoe move faster by swaying my hands, pulling the water under the canoe back and forth, like a current. I paused for a second and checked my fur coat, which was still wet from its dip in the water. I blew out through my lips, exasperated. I hadn't thought about how long it would take me to travel from nation to nation in search of the avatar; and I was alone, to make matters worse. 

After an hour of directing the canoe where to go, I checked the map again.

I was on the right track, but my limbs were aching more than ever, and I needed food. As if right on cue, my stomach rumbled. I lowered my arms and leaned over the edge of the canoe to check the water for any fish.

Under the water, my eye caught a flicker of movement. With one quick flick of my hand, I caught whatever it was in a water bubble brought it up to the air in front of me. Luckily, it was a fish, and not some unheard-of creature. Rolling my shoulders tiredly, I let the ball explode as the fish flopped onto the bottom of the canoe, and I let it run out of oxygen.

Then I pulled out a knife that I had put in my bag just in case, and began to strip the scales off the fish. When I was done, I washed my hands, then I picked it up and tossed it into the air, shooting a ball of fire at it as it came down, and I caught in my right hand.

"Ouch," I hissed, tossing it from hand to hand as it cooled down. 

Perfectly cooked fish.

I gobbled it down, careful of the pointy, tiny, pin-like bones and fried a few more, thankful for my firebending for once. 

After I was done, strength flowing through me once again, I stood up and continued my way to the Northern Air Temple. 

🔥🌊🔥

It was a two day journey, and I took rests, tying myself to locked glaciers that I was sure wouldn't let me drift away.

When I finally, finally reached land, I leapt out of the canoe, excitement getting the better of me. I was so grateful I jumped off and literally kissed the floor, but I stopped myself just in time, careful not to let myself sink that low. Plus, my legs were jelly from not walking for so long, so I tumbled to the floor anyway.

After resting, I pulled my canoe onto the fresh earth and froze it in place so it wouldn't drift away. Then I proceeded to search for life, hauling my bag over my shoulder.

"Hello!" I called out, cupping my hands over my mouth. "Hello, anyone home?" The trees rustled in the wind, but other than that, no one responded. If there was no one here, my next stop would be Kyoshi Island, which was definitely populated.

I looked up to see the island stretch out; a large mountain that was hidden by the clouds, when I realized something.I had no flying bison to get up to the top of the temple. Cursing under my breath, I slumped on the ground. Now what? The air temple could be miles up. I groaned. All I could do now was rest, and then continue on foot (sorry, canoe) to Ba Sing Se. Perhaps they'd welcome me in. Although I thanked the spirits that I didn't have to take the Serpents Pass.

I slept on a tree by taking the moisture out of the tree and wrapping the water around my waist, freezing it like a belt so I wouldn't fall out.

🔥 🌊 🔥 

I woke up to the sound of crunching of leaves and twigs under heavy boots. My eyes flew open and I accidentally melted the water around me, causing it to spill and make a loud noise. The crunching stopped.

My breath caught in my throat as someone said, "Wait. I heard someone." 

So there was more than one, huh? I could take them down easily . . .

"I hope it's the Avatar." I heard a sneer in his voice. "We should capture him and send him over to Admiral Zhao. He'll pay a good price."

"Yeah," the second voice agreed, coming closer, "The Wanted posters are everywhere."

"And," the first voice said a little lower, dangerously close to my tree, "I hear the Avatar is traveling with friends. Guess what that means?"

No reply came. Alright, maybe I couldn't take them down if they were skilled fighters working for Zhao. I'd heard a lot about Zhao. He was an admiral for the Fire Lord Ozai and he was trying hard to find the avatar before Prince Zuko did. 

Suddenly, a huge chunk of earth came and smashed into my back, knocking me out of the tree. I fell so hard, the breath whooshed out of my lungs and I felt as if I'd cracked my ribs. I couldn't move. I lay there, on my face, sprawled on the ground shamefully.

"Well well well, look what we have here. Are you a spy, or a runaway, or a bender?" The first man asked. They were earth benders. Fury rose up in my chest as I thought of these sick traitors.

"Or all three?" the second man asked, chuckling. 

"Get up," the first one kicked me.

That triggered my anger. I wasn't about to let them get away. 

I jumped to my aching legs, furious, and did exactly what I did to the tree back at home in the Northern Water Tribe just a few days ago, kicking and punching fire everywhere. 

They dodged it, but just barely, looking surprised to find me as a firebender. They stomped on the ground with their bare feet and chunks of the earth came up to protect them from my roaring flames.

I stopped my attacks, breathing heavily, my fists raised in defense mode. 

"Who are you?" the first man asked, peeking from behind the earth shield. "Why are you here?"

They seemed truly afraid to find a firebender in front of them, and I decided to play along, enjoying their moment of fear.

"I was sent by Princess Azula. I am looking for the Avatar." An idea popped in my brain, and I narrowed my eyes, setting my hand on my hips in a menacing way. "Have you heard anything of his whereabouts?" 

The first man stepped from behind his rock, narrowing his eyes, and I could almost see the gears in his brain turning. 

"If you were sent by the Princess, why are you dressed in water tribe attire?"

"Um, I. . ." I looked down at myself, blushing. Think, Ayame, think! I thought, when I blurted, "I was undercover, searching for the Avatar in the Northern Water Tribe." 

They looked at each other, and then turned to me, letting their earthen shields crumble.

"What is your name?"

What's a common Fire Nation name? I thought, racking my brains for a name. I spit the first name that came to my mouth. 

"Izuki. My name is Izuki." 

They were silent, suspicion clear in their narrowed eyes. 

"If that is so, then why are you here on foot?" the second man asked, gruffly. 

"I will arrest you and throw you in the dungeon to rot," I said, pulling my lips back into a sneer. I felt bad for acting this rude, but it was my only way to survive. "So, anything of the Avatar?"

The men looked at each other, a silent understanding passing through their eyes. then they turned to me and smiled. "Of course."

I nodded, glad that they had come to my terms.