41| Discussions

"Have you ever met Hama?" Katara asked me. We were sitting on Appa who was flying above Ba Sing Se.

I stared at her. "You! You're Hama's first bloodbending student."

"What do you mean 'first'?" Katara asked in horror. "Don't tell me . . . "

"Yeah. I'm a bloodbender."

"Oh." She said, her dark hair loose behind her back. Two rings of hair hung on both sides of her face. Her eyes were big and blue, and her skin was tanned. It was funny how different we were. I could tell she hadn't believed me about being a waterbender because of my pale skin and dark brown eyes, and my straight dark hair which was braided over my shoulder at the moment, unlike her bushy and thick, voluminous curls. "And . . . You're friends with Zuko."

"Yeah, don't remind me." My stomach twisted. "We had a deal that he'd help me find you guys and then he'd leave without hurting anyone."

"Well I guess he didn't keep that deal."

"What do you mean?" I turned in my seat to face her, wrapping a chilly shawl around my shoulders.

"He hurt you."

I froze completely. "I don't care about him really."

"Oh yes, yes you do." Katara argued. "I see it."

"You're wrong."

"He still likes Mai."

"Ugh I know! I hate that!" I yelled, and then once again, froze in my spot.

"Aha!" Katara jumped, grinning.

"Ugh," I turned away. "He's such a jerk. He doesn't think at all sometimes."

"Tell me about it," she leaned back. "Guys can be such dodo brains." I saw her glance at Aang.

"Whoa, whoa," I grinned. "He's a kid. Aren't you like a year or two older than him?"

She blushed. "He was stuck in an iceberg for a hundred years. That technically makes him a whole ninety-eight years older than me. Hold your ostrich-horses."

I laughed out loud and whistled. "You're in love with an old guy."

"No one said I was in love," she said furiously. "And shut up! He can hear you."

I was still laughing.

"At least I totally don't have a crush on a banished prince who currently has his mind set on his ex who doesn't even care that he exists on this planet."

That shut me up.

A few second later, I said, "I never said I liked him."

"You implied it." She shrugged. "Hey, you know I'm really glad we have another girl on board that's like, my age." She glanced at Toph. "For now. I feel a connection with you."

"So do I. Like we met before, right?"

"Oh yeah. It's probably the water tribe thing kicking in." She winked.

I laughed again. "My cheek muscles hurt."

She grinned. "So why are you here anyway?"

I hesitated. "Well, I have this weird problem."

"Please tell me it's not contagious." She scooted away.

"No, no," I laughed. "It's . . . Different. Like a bender perk, if that even makes sense."

"There's a problem with your bending?"

"No, it's like an addition. Don't hate me for this, but—"

"Were landing! Hang onto your seats!" Aang announced, and before I could say anything, we were swooping downwards, with me clinging in the back and screaming.

On the ground, I wobbled away from them. We were in a small town of Ba Sing Se.

"We have to figure out what the Dai Li is, and what they want with us," Aang said. "Ayame, you can stay here now. Undercover."

"What?" I almost yelled. "No, I can't. Please let me help."

"We already have enough space filled on Appa, and you just found us. It's better if you stay here," Aang said.

"I'm really strong. I almost beat Zuko in an Agni Kai. Please?" I argued.

"And that's exactly why we can't trust you," Sokka crossed his arms over his chest. "You're friends with Zuko."

"Sokka's making a point," Aang shrugged.

"Look, Aang, I amost sailed the world to find you. I was captured by a crazy admiral, save by a spirit, I was captured again, I was almost killed by a bloodbender, and then I got stuck with a crazy guy with these long metal hooks who knew Katara."

"Jet?" She asked.

"That's the one. You can't just drop me off here, Aang. Let me help."

"I don't know . . . "

"Sometimes it's good to try new things. I can be trusted, and I will prove it to you."

"She's got a point there, Aang." Toph said. "It'll be good to have another girl on board."

"That's what I said—hey!"

"Hey!" Toph exclaimed.

"See?" I pleaded. "Just this once. I'll help you with the Dai Li."

"But Zuko . . . " Aang groaned. "How do I know he hasn't set you up?"

"Have you ever seen Zuko that emotional about leaving someone? I don't think that was an act. It seemed pretty sincere," Katara crossed her arms over her chest.

"It's true," Toph grinned.

Aang sighed. "Fine."

I almost screamed with happiness. Katara grinned, and a Toph punched my arm. Even Aang smiled a little. Sokka pouted.

"So, Mei, tell me about Jet." Katara put her arm through mine and we climbed back onto Appa who sent us heading straight towards the Palace.