59| The Truth Comes Out

Azula interrupted our little hug.

"Come down to the beach. Everyone's waiting," she said.

I nodded, following her out. She took us down to the campfire where everyone was sitting. Mai on a rock, Ty Lee on a log and I sat beside her. Zuko just sat on the floor. I sat next to Azula.

"So," I said quietly, when suddenly Zuko tossed another picture in the fire to keep the flame going.

"Why would you throw away something so precious?" Ty Lee said.

"It's none of your business, circus freak."

"Zuko!" I sputtered. "What the hell was that?"

"No, no, let him say it," Ty Lee said, tears suddenly gathering in her eyes. "You know how hard it was for me to live with six sisters who looked exactly like me?" Ty Lee wiped her eyes, getting very emotional all of a sudden. "That's why I joined the circus so I could become unique. Being called 'circus freak' is a compliment!"

"And that's why you want so much attention," Mai rolled her eyes, "you barely got any when you were young."

"Yeah?" Ty Lee shot back, "Well you got so much attention being the only child and you still have this gloomy aura hanging around you."

"I don't believe in auras." She sighed, laying back on the rock.

"You don't believe in anything," Zuko scoffed.

"My dad was a politician. I got whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, as long as I behaved like the little girl I was. I was always under the spotlight so I couldn't mess up."

"And that's you have so much trouble expressing your feelings." Azula concluded, leaning back. 

Wow. Rough childhood.

A burst of anger kind of ran through me. Oh, you had a rough childhood?

Suddenly, Mai stood up and started shouting things. I hadn't seen her act like that ever. But my ears were ringing. I couldn't hear. Something literally crashed inside of me, and then suddenly, as quick as it came, it disappeared.

"Mai," Zuko said to her.

"Don't touch me," Mai said. "I'm angry."

Good for you, Mai.

"You're angry?" Zuko yelled. "I have had the most suckish life anyone could ever have. My own father banished me when I was thirteen. My mother disappeared. I lost my Uncle. I'm just so angry."

"Who are you angry at?" Azula asked.

"I don't know."

"Then how come you're angry?" Ty Lee asked.

"There has to be a reason," Mai said, turning away from him.

"I don't know who I'm mad at."

"Is it me?" Azula asked.

"Or me?" Ty Lee put in.

"Who are you mad at?"

"I'm mad at myself!" Zuko yelled, and the flames shot up into the sky. "I'm just . . . mad."

"I get it, Zuko." Mai looked at him. "It's okay."

"Hey Mia," I said, suddenly annoyed, "Why don't you cut the act and sit down?"

"Excuse me?" her head whipped towards me. "And what's your problem?"

"What's my problem?" I stood up as the fire got bigger, "I just found out my own mother ditched me and betrayed my father. And she was from the water tribe. Haven't you had this feeling before that no matter where your mother went, even if she left you when you were a kid, you loved her anyway? Well I had that feeling. All the way up to the moment when Azula told me she left me on purpose. Who knows, I might even have a sibling somewhere out there." I wiped my eyes, staring at all of them angrily. "I'm a part of the Fire Nation now. My whole life back home has been forgotten. I'm going to try my best to fit in now, because I'm stuck. And when the time comes to answer your father, I'm going to say yes. I am loyal to the Fire Nation."