20| Fun

I stepped up the stairs, yawning.

Another day, and I wasn't dead. I was proud of myself.

Zuko was standing on deck, leaning over the rails in deep thought. Iroh was playing Pai Sho, tea brewing next to him. Iroh looked up and smiled, waving. I waved back and put a finger to my lips. Then I ran forward and jumped on Zuko's back.

"Morning!" I exclaimed, and Zuko whipped around.

"What—" I ducked as he cut his arm through the air, sending a fire blade at my head.

"Dude," I said, laughing so hard I was squeezing my sides, "It's me. Chill out."

Iroh was laughing so hard he spilled his precious tea all over the place and didn't seem to mind.

"You shoulda seen your face," I doubled over, laughing.

"That wasn't funny," he turned his back on me, gritting his teeth.

"Yes it was," I snickered mischievously.

Scaring the prince was the funniest thing you could do in your life; especially if it was Zuko. "And you got scared so don't try to hide it!"

"I wasn't scared," he mumbled.

"Yes you were!" I teased.

"No I wasn't."

"By the way, I may not be a good liar but I can tell when someone lying." I grinned slyly. "It's one of the many advantages of being a waterbender."

"What? Waterbending has nothing to do with knowing the truth."

"Ah, now you're not lying," I nodded, flicking my hair out of my face. "See what I mean?"

Zuko groaned and let his head sink low out of annoyance.

"Okay okay, I'm sorry," I apologized, "But you've gotta admit, it was funny." I leaned over the railing, my elbows resting on the metal bars and my chin resting in my hands.

"I admit nothing."

"I'll just do it again tomorrow," I sighed, "And see what you do."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Where are we heading to anyway?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Ba Sing Se."

"Whoa, weren't we just at the shores of the Earth Kingdom?" I asked.

"Yeah. We're not walking halfway across the world to get to Ba Sing Se. We're going by boat."

I glanced over my shoulder at Iroh who shook his head.

"Hold it," I said, straightening up. "What if I want to explore, prince Zuko?"

"Why would you want to do that?" Zuko asked dryly. "No one does."

"You're just saying that because. . ." I looked over my shoulder again and Iroh nodded, giving me a thumbs up. "Because you've already sailed across the globe. You've been everywhere. Don't you think I want to too?"

Zuko facepalmed. "Don't tell me you want me to redirect the ship and start from the beginning of the Earth Kingdom?"

Iroh was grinning, showing all his teeth.

"I actually do."

I thought Zuko was about to through me overboard but all he did was let out a frustrated cry.

"Why are you so annoying?" He was literally ripping out his hair.

"Don't do that. Long hair looks good on you." With that I turned away, and walked towards Iroh who was beaming.

"Morning, Iroh. Can I call you Uncle Iroh?" I asked. "I like saying that since you're sort of like my uncle now."

"Whatever you want. Tea?"

"You don't even have to ask," I winked, and he handed me a steaming cup of delicious tea as we started a new game of Pai Sho.

"Who are you to boss me around anyway?" Zuko yelled after me, kicking the rails of the ship hard, and then holding his foot and hopping around madly.

"Ayame! I told you already! You need to get your memory checked," I rolled my eyes, and Uncle Iroh started laughing. I smiled, pleased.

He grumbled under his breath, walking inside and out of view.

I high-fived Iroh and we sipped our tea.