69| Baby Shoe

Honestly, I didn't remember anything from the previous day. Well, most of it. As soon as Haru hauled me into the tank and directed the man who was driving it to go back, I was completely knocked out.

When I did come to my senses, even the air gave me a headache.

Get a hold of yourself. How can air give you a headache?

Damn. I messed up.

Katara still didn't know . . . Sokka . . .

My chest seemed to contract. Nothing wanted to go my way. It was as if my fate was literally against me.

My eyes flickered open. The first thing I saw was blue.

The blue sky.

I sat up, close to screaming. "Where am I?"

"She's awake!" I heard Katara's voice yell.

"How is she?" Sokka.

"Does she look the same?" Toph.

"I'm sorry we made you go through this," Katara said, resting a hand on my shoulder. "We're supposed to help people, and instead we messed everything up. I'm sorry."

"Katara, I have something to tell you."

"No, you don't have to say anything."

"I have to say this. It's important."

"Really. I understand," Katara smiled, "I would've done the same thing if I were you."

"No Katara please—" I tried to tell her, but she told me to rest, telling me to put the little pouch I came with under my head. As as I lay down, defeated, something crumpled under my head. There was no way I could rest with that annoying scratchy sound. I sat back up and pulled whatever was scrunching in there out and took a good look at it.

No.

They were the papers. The story. Katara and Sokka's. Mine.

It was real. I really was their sister. Except this letter? It was from my mother. Our mother. Not just a story. Azula was telling the truth.

At the end of the scroll, her name was signed, right after the last paragraph.

Katara, Sokka, my loves, if you are reading this, know that I never left you on purpose. Know that  I was forced to start over elsewhere, or Katara would be in danger. I escaped the Fire Nation in hopes that that I would see you again, which I plan on doing after this war is over. If this is in your hands, my children, understand that it was meant to be, for I left this with Gran . . . no, not your father's mother. My mother. She took care of my other daughter.

my other daughter.

I felt sick. Sick, ashamed, and betrayed. My own mother favored her first two children. I was nothing. She gave no regrets, left me no message. I was just the other daughter.

A pang to my heart made me realize.

I was always just the other daughter.

I could feel Katara's gaze on me. "Ayame, what's wrong? What are you reading?"

I flipped the page over, and there, lightly written was another message.

I know you're mad, and I know I made a mistake. I'm sorry.

I found this in Azula's room, and I know you'll need this. It's from your mother.

Zuko