53| Face to Face

"It's so heavy." Katara wiped her brow, helping haul the giant rock up. Aang and Toph eartbended the meteor.

"Just let 'em do it," I said, taking my hands off and accidently smearing dark dust onto my face. "Oops."

Katara grinned. "You have a duststache."

"Is that even a word?" Toph asked.

"Well, milkstache isn't a word either," Sokka pointed out.

"We're almost there," Aang said.

🔥🔥🔥

We rollled the meteor up to the giant doors. A guy opened the door and Sokka introduced us to him as Fat.

"So . . . we'll go now, I guess." Toph said.

"Yeah."

♋♋♋

"Look, Azula, I don't want to talk to you right now," Zuko said, turning away from her. "Get out of my room."

"Don't you want to hear from you precious Mei?" Azula smirked, crunching the paper behind her back. The letter was recent. It came in this morning, a reply to her statement about talking face to face.

Suddenly, Zuko turned his head towards her. "Ayame?"

Azula laughed coldly. "Should I have brought Mai in to see your reaction?"

"No . . . it's not like that."

"And what proof do you have? I have enough, if you want to know." Azula crumpled the paper, pulling it up from behind her back. "Do you want to come to meet her?"

Zuko snatched the paper out of her hand. "What are you talking about?" his eyes scanned the paper, and then it exploded into flames. "She said she wants to see you?"

"She agreed that I said we should talk."

"In person?"

"Did you even read the paper?" Azula rollled her eyes, knocking away his outstretched hand that contained the ashes. They flurried to the floor like dark snow.

"Oh look, you ruined it. It was her writing," Azula clucked in mock sympathy.

"Go alone. I'm not falling for your traps."

"What, afraid the other Mai is going to see you?" Azula laughed. "Good thinking, dear brother."

"Leave."

🔥🔥🔥

I actually said yes. I even gave her the date and the time. It would be dark so no one could know I was gone.

After sunset.

At the statue of an important firebender.

I'd seen it as we'd come on Appa, it wasn't too far.

I was actually freaking out.

"Why are you fidgeting?" Toph asked. "I can literally feel you all the way here."

"I'm not." I went defensive.

"Yes you are. And your heartbeat is crazy."

"No it's not."

"Are you calling me a liar?"

"I'm not."

"Guys!" Katara interrupted. "Not now. It's like midnight. You're waking everyone up."

"Am not," I huffed.

"Are too," Aang groaned from his tent. 

"Fine."