10| Scarred

We hit the water hard with a huge splash, and I felt like every bone in my body had broken.

But there was no time to waste. I healed quickly, the water surrounding me in comfort.

I did the first thing my instincts told me—swim. Obviously. I started swimming in a random direction when something caught me by the arm and I stopped, as something flew into the water inches from where my head had just been.

An arrow.

I turned to the Mask and he pointed straight ahead and began to swim. While he wasn't looking, I moved my arms in a wave-movement and the water slowly froze above us, but he was too busy to notice. I formed an air bubble around my mouth and pushed hard against the water as more arrows came bombarding at us out of the sky. Something exploded behind us and I grabbed the Mask by the collar, not caring whether he found my waterbending secret or not, and beat my legs hard, the water helping us move fast. I could tell he was running out of air; his grip was loosening on my arm and his kicks in the water slowed down, less powerful. I looked up and saw a large ship heading our way. With one final arm movement, a current pushed us towards the ship where a ladder awaited us. We burst out of the water, the Mask gasping for air as we climbed up the ladder, the ship slowly turning, changing its course. I climbed up the rungs, the Mask close behind, and jumped over the edge, falling on my knees.

I groaned, suddenly feeling verg lightheaded. I felt myself losing grip on reality, falling backwards and hitting my head on something. the last thing I saw was that frightful blue mask above my face.

♋♋♋

The banished prince stared down at the girl in amazement for her bravery, when she suddenly held her head and fell backwards.

It snapped him out of his shock and he looked around him at the people surrounding them, and he jumped, running on the rails of the ship and disappearing.

Moments later, the door to the main deck opened behind them, a fresh, dry, umasked Zuko appearing. Uncle Iroh chuckled.

Well played, Zuko. Well played.

The prince rushed to the girl.

"Wake up," he patted her cheek

"Zuko," Uncle Iroh said, putting a hand on his shoulder, "She needs rest right now. As do you. please, Prince Zuko, listen to me for once."

Zuko looked into his Uncle's sincere eyes and agreed.

"Okay, uncle."

Then he walked away, disappearing behind a door leading to the inside of the Fire Nation ship.

🔥🔥🔥

All I remembered was the creepy blue mask. I had a dream about it—one I realized I couldn't remember.

When I woke up, I was in a dark room, but I lay on a soft bed. I was still cold and my clothes were still wet from before, but I decided to get used to it; this was about as comfortable as it could get.

I sat up, stretching and yawning, and I touched the back of my head to feel another bump growing on it. I groaned and got to my feet, stumbling and tripping a few times, unable to keep my balance.

"What's wrong with me," I mumbled out loud, grabbing the edge of the bed. Able to walk now, I lit a ball of flame on my palm and raises it for a source of light. I noticed that there were torches lining the walls, untouched. I got my feet into position and my fists up, and with fast movements, a spin in the air, some punches and a kick to end it off with, all the torches were lit.

It wasn't necessary to do all that, but I loved to practice.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. I whipped around and tiptoed to my bed, safely under the covers.

"Who is it?" I called out.

"Can I come in?" a slight accent came through, that I'd never heard before.

"Yes."

The door clicked open and an old man with long gray hair and a wide body walked in, smiling cheerfully with clothes draped over his arm.

"I see youre awake. Good," he said with a smile.

"Yeah," I sat up. "Where am I?"

"Safe. That's all you need to worry about. Change your clothes. It's cold." The old man walked to me and dropped the Fire Nation clothes on my bed.

I got up after he left and heard the lock click in place. I grabbed the clothes and changed into them quickly, and then unlocked the door, opened it to make my grand escape.

Of course, nothing in this world was easy for me.

Instead of escaping, I found myself face to face with the Scarred Prince.