82| Beach Parties

"Are you sure it's okay to stay at your father's vacation house?" Katara asked.

"Why would he look for the Avatar in his own house?" Zuko replied.

"That's true," I agreed. "But I'm bored."

"Me too," Aang said.

"You're supposed to be firebending, not chilling out." Zuko pointed at him to go and practice.

"I'm hungry," Aang complained.

"There's no time for that," Zuko said. "Keep practicing."

"Aw, let him rest," I waved at Zuko, laying on my back. "Enjoy the fruit and stuff for now."

"We can't enjoy when the comet is so close," Zuko said, kicking fire at Aang who nearly dodged it.

"That was a bit hot," Aang stated. "Thanks for that."

"No problem," Zuko muttered nonchalantly.

"Relax, Zuko," Toph said with a sigh. "Have some fun in your life. You're so serious."

"Yeah, Zuzu," I agreed. "Hey, if Aang ever needs any help, I'll be there with him."

"What?" Zuko said, turning his full attention towards me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," I said with caution, afraid he was going to tell me not to do it, "I'm going to help fight the Fire Lord."

"No you're not." I knew it. I glared at him, but I kept my mouth shut afraid to say something that would hurt him.

"Why, Zuko? I'm the next person who can help Aang."

"Because we're all supposed to help Aang," Zuko said. "It's only going to be you, Ayame. You can get hurt."

I couldn't fight the smile. "Sure, if that what you want."

"No. I need to do the job alone," Aang said. "And we need to split up that day. There are more threats than only the Fire Lord. He has guards, and, more importantly, Azula."

"He's right," Suki said. "Azula needs more than one person to take her down."

"I'll do it," Zuko raised his hand. "It's something I need to do. Katara, will you help me?" She smiled.

"I'd love to."

I scowled at both of them. "Yeah, go ahead, have fun. I didn't want to join the party anyway. I totally have nothing against Azula, right?"

Katara started laughing immediately, but Zuko took a few seconds to realize what I was saying.

I giggled. "Just joking. You two have fun. I have better things to do than child's play." Aang nodded his head in agreement, high fiving me. "Anyway, you'll be okay, right?"

"I can handle it," he said.

"Awesome."

"Don't sit around," he repeated, wrapping his arms around Aang's chest and hoisting him up, "we are not slacking off."

"Yes we diddly-darn are," Toph said, getting to her feet. "Beach time!"

"No—" Zuko protested, but I planted a kiss on his nose, running off with the rest of them.

About an hour into our fun beach time, I realized Zuko was nowhere to be seen. I got to my feet, shielding my eyes from the glare of the hot sun.

'Where are you going?" Katara asked, taking a step off her ice-board. She'd been surfing the entire time. I squinted at her.

"Zuko's nowhere."

"I'm sure he's enjoying whatever he's doing. You don't always need to worry about him."