16| Honor

"So, Zuko, may I ask you a question?" I said, sitting on a chair in the meeting room of the ship where stuff was planned.

"Mhm." He was looking at a map, extremely interested In the Ba Sing Se region.

"Why do you want the Avatar so badly?" I asked, resting me arms on the armrests. A huge Fire Nation symbol hung from the metal wall.

Zuko turned to my, a flicker of anger passing his golden-brown eyes. "Why would you ask me that? I thought you knew what happened."

"I do, but isn't it your choice to decide your destiny? I mean, you want the Avatar so you can restore your honor and place as prince again, and earn your fathers respect and love. But . . ." I hesitated, knowing this would anger him, "Don't you think that . . .if he loved you in the first place, he would've accepted your return by now?"

Zuko's shoulders stiffened, as well as his back. His head bowed slightly like he was trying hard to keep himself under control. His fists were clenched and I could see his arms flexing with anger.

"You have no right to say that," Zuko said, his voice cracking; not from emotion but from anger.

"Yes I do," I retorted. "I have as much right as anyone else. It's my opinion. And Zuko, why do you want yor honor so bad when you can pick and choose your own destiny. Instead of thinking 'honor, honor, honor' you should think, 'love, care, peace'."

"You don't know me," he said through gritted teeth.

"I know a lot about you, and I know you have a good heart in there somewhere. I want you to let go of the Avatar for once."

He whipped around, his eyes ablaze. "I can never do that. Ever. I want my father's love back. I want respect from the Fire Nation. I want to be with my sister like the old days. I want my honor back."

I stood up so fast the chair fell backward. "Don't you think I want my father back? My mother? You have to realize," I strode towards him and l poked my finger on his chest, "When the Fire Nation takes something from you, they never give it back. Ever."

"That's not true," Zuko fumed, gold eyes ablaze, "You don't know what you're talking about."

"I know perfectly well what I'm talking about," I scowled. "You're mind just isn't working enough to realize who's right and who's wrong."

"It works enough to know that you're wrong." He pushed my hand away.

"No, it works only to the restricted limit and doesn't think past that. You need to think logically and listen to people who think logic—"

"And that's why I don't listen to you."

I let out a gasp of disbelief.

"You're one messed up prince," I scowled.

Zuko held his head in his hands and sighed.

"Sorry, Zuko, but sometimes you can't hide the truth." I shrugged and strode out of the room. Iroh was waiting outside.

"I couldn't help but overhear," he said after I shut the door.

"It's alright." I sighed.

"I must say," Iroh chuckled, "I'm impressed."

"Huh?" I looked up at him. "Why is that?"

"Because you've been on the ship for a week now and you're already changing our lives."

"Is that good or bad?" I asked.

"That is excellent," Iroh said, and I blushed.

Suddenly, the ship jerked to the side and we smashed against the doors.