68| Eclipse

Zuko stumbled through the hallway as the guards pushed him. He grabbed one of them by the collar and looked him straight in the eye, saying, "What the hell is going on?"

"We're under attack. There are earth and water benders standing outside and tearing down the walls." and then he pulled away, starting after the rest of the Fire Nation guards. Zuko's hand fell to his side and he started after the guard, his jaw slightly hanging. He pressed his palms against the wall and took deep breaths, trying to calm himself. His head hung low between his outstretched arms, and he tried his best to fight the stinging feeling behind his eyes. It burned through his nose, and finally slid down the good side of his face.

Zuko frantically wiped at his eye and turned, letting his back touch the wall. A shiver ran through his spine as he remembered Ayame's face, looking up at him childishly as she spoke the three words he'd always wanted to tell her. But she'd chosen the worst timing to talk to him.

Zuko took a deep breath in and then focused on his father—on the Fire Lord. Ayame had made her decision, but now it was time for Zuko's.

🔥🔥🔥

I burst through the doors and looked both ways, going the opposite direction of Zuko. The warning bells only rang when there was an attack, as Azula had explained before. I shuddered at the thought of Azula, but forced myself on. If this was the Avatar, I was going to find him again.

No matter how long it took.

♋♋♋

Everyone split up like they'd been ordered to. Aang fled to the throne room as the eclipse began. Sokka went to hold off the guards at the gates, and Toph metalbended through walls, crushing oncoming enemy while Katara followed Sokka into the hallway that led to the gates.

She twisted her arms through the air, slicing them to create sharp water spurts that pushed the guards back, knocking them unconscious. Sokka used his sword as a battering ram, only stopping for a moment when the rest of the wall crumbled with a loud boom that shook the entire palace. The walls were down, and the army was in.

As Aang approached the throne room, he took a deep breath, looking through the window. The sun was almost completely covered, so he waited.

And then it was dark.

He kicked the doors open, only to find the room empty. Aang fell to his knees.

🔥🔥🔥

The guards weren't doing anything to me. I ran and pushed them out of the way, trying to pass through one of the doors.

"No one's allowed out there," he said to me. I looked up at him, opening my mouth to say something, only to realize this was the some young boy that I'd nearly fallen against on my way to meet the Fire Lord.

"I am though," I said to him. "Let me go, please," I pleaded.

"The Fire Lord has strict orders—"

I tried to shove him against the wall, but I suddenly felt weak at the knees. It was hot and cold and the same time, and my breathing was too shallow. I pressed a hand to my throat, and he reached out to steady me by the arms.

"Please," I repeated, fighting the pain. I felt like i'd just lost a piece of me, leaving me half empty.

"You know I can't," he said, and I tried to move back to bend fire but nothing was happening. I was starting to freak out.

"I have to get out there. I have to do something."

Without a warning, he leaned forward and his lips brushed my ear. "Zian is waiting for you on the right side of the wall. Be quick and unseen. The guards are looking for you."