30| Freedom Fighters

I woke up to yelling outside. Someone ripped open the flaps of my tent as I shot up, flaming.

"Um, privacy please?" I mumbled and saw Zian looking frantic.

"Get up! Fire Nation."

"Again?" I mumbled, ripping the blankets off and staggering to my feet.

"Yup."

"Where's Zuko?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. Zian grabbed my wrist and pulled me out.

"Packing our stuff. Get this tent down."

"But—"

"Hurry!" And then he ran to go help the others. We were actually one of the only ones left. Zian and Zuko probably got them all out of there before they would get hit, and we were the last ones left.

"How did he know they were coming?" I asked no one in particular.

"Vibrations. Zian has a good . . . feet sense," Zuko's raspy voice came from behind me.

I whipped around to find myself staring at Zuko, face to face.

"Hi," was the first thing I managed, paralyzed for a few seconds.

"Get out of here," Zuko rolled his eyes, giving me a nudge. Suddenly, someone jumped at us out of the tall reddish trees.

Zuko was the first one to move but I was faster, elbowing him in the stomach. I opened the canteen hanging around my waist and I snapped out a glob of water, whipping it at the person. It was a big guy and he didn't look much fire nation to me. With one swift move he had me over his shoulder and he somehow managed to make it on a tree, don't ask how.

"No . . . warmth!" I yelled after Zuko, hoping he got my gist. I wanted to say not to use firebending but I couldn't, getting a bad feeling.

Zian stomped his foot on the ground and with a quick movement of both hands, he brought them up with a jerk, rising into the air with the ground ascending under his feet. I didn't have water but I knew better not to use fire or I could get in serious trouble—even more than I was in now.

I heard a thud and then I was falling, but fast enough, I saved by Zian who stopped my fall with earthbending. I was lowered onto the ground slowly, but the fall had hurt my back and my arm was aching from the cut.

I watched as Zuko stared up at Zian, helplessly as Zian earthbended at the attackers. They were in the trees, moving as fast as those flying lemurs and they were hitting Zian with everything they had. His only defense was earth and rocks and his limbs.

"I don't think they're Fire Nation," I said heavily, getting to my feet unsteadily.

Zuko just stared up at the trees.

"Why can't I firebend?" Zuko said angrily.

"They'll hit us harder. I don't think these guys like the Fire Nation."

"And how do you know that?" Zuko turned to me, his scar clear on his face.

"No one likes them," I said a matter-of-factly. "Zuko, cover your face," I ordered. "Hurry."

He pulled his hat over his head and lowered the front so it dropped a dark shade over his face.

"That's not enough," I muttered checking myself for something to cover his face with. "They can't know who you are."

"Covering my face will only make them more suspicious."

I found a bandanna and tied it over his face so that only the slots of his amber eyes were showing. Suddenly, someone grabbed my arms and I fell back, my arms held tightly behind me. Another person jumped on Zuko and knocked him to the ground, and Zian was bound tightly by his arms and feet.

"Who are you?" a rough voice came from behind me. "And why did you help the Fire Nation?"

"How did we help the Fire Nation?" I asked, confused.

"You got them out of here when we attacked."

"Those weren't Fire Nation. They were earth—" I tried, but he cut me off.

"They're dressed as earth. Doesn't mean they are Earth Kingdom. And how can we know that we can trust you?" he asked, pulling my arms together and I cried out, pain shooting up my arm.

"Dude, I'm hurt," I said through gritted teeth, "And you're not helping."

He turned my arm slightly to see the scarlet soaking the bandages. Luckily, the bleeding had stopped. He loosened his grip but not completely.

"You can trust me because I'm a waterbender," I shot Zuko a look, "And I hate firebenders. They killed my mother."

My kidnapper dropped my arms and I pulled them in front of me, rubbing my wrists.

"Well I guess we both have that in common." I turned around and saw a boy, maybe a little older than Zuko. He was tall and had unruly hair and his eyes had this fierce touch to them, making you shiver automatically. He had these two metal hooked rods in both hands.

"You lost your mother?"

"Both my parents."

"Oh. I'm sorry," I said softly. "So did I."

"How can I trust your friends?" he asked.

"He is an earthbender," I pointed at Zian, "And that guy," I pointed at Zuko, "Is not even a bender so I think we're good there."

"Hmm." The boy made a two-fingered signal and Zian and Zuko were automatically released. "Why is he covering his face?"

"Because he's really ugly," I whispered the last part to the boy. "And he is ashamed of his face and all. Puberty didn't do him any favors. He's sensitive; he was made fun of a lot when he was young."

The boy cracked a smile. "That's funny."

"Very," I agreed, getting to my feet and brushing off dirt from my knees and behind.

Zuko was practically glaring, his narrowed eyes sending me silent death threats and I just smirked and shook my head for him to shut it and go with the flow.

Zian was shaking with silent laughter and he gave me a thumbs up.

"So, who are you?" I asked, striking up a conversation.

"These are my Freedom Fighters; Smellerbee, Longshot, Pipsqueak, Sneers, and The Duke."

"And you?" Zian asked.

"Me?" The corner of his lips turned up into a smirk. "I'm Jet."