45| The Split

"General Fong's base will serve as the launching point for the attack. In exactly two months, the army and navy will invade the Fire Nation on the Day of Black Sun," General How, the big muscly guy, said.

Momo jumped on the map, knocking over pieces.

"Or we could send in Momo to do some damage!" She chuckled. "'Cause, the . . . " she trailed off. "Sorry."

General How slammed his foot down, using earthbending to stand the pieces back up, scaring Momo who scrambled up Katara's arm. "All we need is the Earth King's seal in order to execute the plan," he said, sending the scroll across the table to Katara.

"I'll get these scrolls to him right away. Thank you, General How." She bowed, and left the room.

♋♋♋

"Look Bosco! The Kyoshi Warriors are here to protect us! Aren't you excited?" King Kuei told his bear. Bosco yawned. Kuei turned to the warriors. "It's been a difficult week for me. My most trusted advisor, Long Feng, and his Dai Li agents tried to take control of Ba Sing Se from me." He sighed.

"It's terrible when you can't trust the people who are closest to you," the leader of the warriors said with a small knowing look.

The King stroked Bosco. "But there is good news. As we speak, the Council of Five is meeting to plan an invasion of the Fire Nation this summer, on the day of a solar eclipse."

For a second, Azula's eyes widened with shock and worry upon hearing this, but she quickly recovered, masking it with her signature smirk. "Really? Now that sounds like a fascinating and brilliant plan."

Behind her, Mai and Ty Lee glanced at each other.

Then Azula took her bow, walking away, with her two minions behind her.

"We have been presented with an extraordinary opportunity, girls." Azula smirked when the three of them were in the room, private.

They removed their makeup.

"Mai finally gets to wear make-up that's not totally depressing?" Ty Lee giggled.

Mai looked at her, black makeup dripping down her eyes. "Ha, ha," she said, sarcasm dripping from her lips.

"I'm talking about conquering the whole Earth Kingdom. For one hundred years, the Fire Nation has hammered away at Ba Sing Se from the outside. But now we're on the inside, and we can take it by ourselves."

"Gosh, you're so confident. I really admire that about you." Ty Lee grinned.

"From the inside, we're in perfect position to organize a coup and overthrow the Earth King. The key is the Dai Li. Whoever controls the Dai Li . . ." A smirk spread across her face, "controls Ba Sing Se."

♋♋♋

"Who thought when we came to this city as refugees, that I'd end up owning my own tea shop? Follow your passion, Zuko, and life will reward you."

"Congratulations, Uncle."

"I am very thankful."

"You deserve it. The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city."

"No. I'm thankful because you decided to share this special day with me. It means more than you know." Iroh smiled, pulling Zuko into a hug.

"Now let's make these people some tea!" Zuko announced, walking to the back.

"Yes, let's make some tea!" Iroh chuckled in a agreement, following his nephew.

Something had changed in his nephew, Iroh could tell. His heart had softened by some mysterious yet powerful force. He'd gotten a death-like fever, after coming back from his day with Jin, and as soon as he'd woken up, he was . . . different.