87| I Believe

"Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home."
-Uncle Iroh

🔥🔥🔥

When I saw the battle, my thoughts went to the Agni Kai Zuko and I had. He'd been so angry, but his 'Agni Kai' was not serious. He just wanted to take his anger out on me at that time.

The Agni Kai between him and Azula, on the other hand, was terrifying.

"Mei? What are you doing here?" Katara asked, hiding me.

"I flew in. Aang came back. He took over," I said.

"He's back? Oh, thank goodness. What happened to you?" Katara's eyes widened. "Your arm . . . " she said, pulling water out of her knapsack, healing it. The pain withered away, and all that was left was a nasty mark of burnt flesh and bubbly skin. I yanked my arm back. "This is not important."

"Aang came back?"

"He told me to leave," I explained. "I don't know what happening, but I was pretty sure you would've beat Azula by know. What's taking so long? And why aren't you up there next to Zuko?"

"It's an Agni Kai. And don't ask me what's taking so long; look at her. She's insane. Zuko said she's hanging on thr the last thread."

"She's slipping," I whispered. "She's on the borderline of insanity."

"And they're equally matched. I'm afraid for Zuko. And, Ayame," Katara pushed me out of sight again, "Azula has something big against you. Do not show yourself to her." I nodded. "How's Sokka?" she asked.

"He broke his leg, but besides that, they made it." Katara breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm so worried about Aang."

"I believe in him," I said. "He can do it."

I watched Azula and Zuko fight. Back home, when I saw brothers and sisters fight, it annoyed me. You were so lucky to have a sibling and then you two argued over the smallest of things, like who's doll was better or which knife was sharper. But when I met Sokka and Katara I realized that siblings only fought because of their close bond and love. They cared, that's why they fought.

Azula and Zuko? I didn't understand why they fought. There was something between them, like an elastic band that had two people on each end, pulling and pulling and pulling until the band couldn't stretch anymore, and this was the conclusion of them letting go.

Azula was powerful, but her sanity was slipping, giving Zuko an advantage. He cut through her attacks easily and then threw her to the ground with a move that I'd seen dancers on streets do; sitting on their hands and swinging their legs around. A fire storm started, and I backed away.

"Sorry," I said as I stepped on Katara's toes. "Heat doesn't do the burn much good."

Zuko didn't play defense like I usually did. He was all for it, fighting, fighting until Azula was left breathless and frustrated. She skated around, flying on her blue flames like a princess of destruction. Zuko cut through her attack, sending massive fireballs her way. She jumped, panic on her face as they almost burned her to ashes. She rolled on the floor, hitting the ground so hard she bounced, landing on her back. Her hair was a mess. Her makeup was smudged, black around her eyes and her red lips a mess.

"Come on, Azula," Zuko taunted. "No lightning today? Afraid I'll redirect it?" 

"Lightning?" Azula cackled. "I'll show you lightning."