33| Liar

"I'm a water bender, see?" I got to my feet and whipped out water from a nearby barrel. "Proof."

"Okay," Jet mumbled, dropping his hooks a little.

"Wait. So if I was a fire bender you'd kill me on the spot." I rubbed my chin, anger starting to bubble inside me.

"Fire Nation can't be trusted."

"Get that silly idea out of your head! You trust me but If I was a fire bender you'd kill me. But I'd be the same person so why . . . why are you like this?"

"Because I hate the Fire Nation."

"And what If I say I hate weird guys that live in giant treehouses? Then?"

"I haven't done anything to you."

I stared into Jet's eyes, throwing my hands in the air. "I give up."

"They killed both of our parents. I don't see why you defend them like they're your family or something."

"I only defend them because I've met a few that aren't as bad as you think."

"That's what they want you to think."

"Jet! I've known them for a long time and some of them are amazing people. Sure we fight a lot and act like we hate each other and all... But it doesn't mean I really hate them." I rubbed my face. "But I hope they really don't hate me."

"Who are you talking about?" Jet clenched the hooks tighter.

"P-people. They're long gone now anyway." I looked away sadly.

"Well. I hope they're nowhere closeby."

"You sound brainwashed." I felt my head throbbing.

"Cool down a bit. You need it. You're letting this get to your head. Pretty soon you're going to grow up and realize what you have to do to survive in this cruel world. You can't always expect love and happiness everywhere." Jet pulled on my arm. "Let's go back."

"I'm already grown up!" I said fiercely, yanking my arm away.

Jet sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Don't do this to me, Mei."

"I'm not doing anything to you. I'm trying to make you realize that not everyone is bad."

"And I'll show you that all Fire Nation is bad."

"Show me? I already have enough proof." I clenched my fists.

"Just give me a chance. I'm not a bad person and you should know that. You of all people!" Jet said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I loosened my fists.

"That you're different. You're the only one who understands me because we went through the same pain. We're alike. Don't you understand?"

I took a step back. He was right. We were alike, even if what we believed was different. "Okay. I give you a chance."

A smile broke out across his face. "I'll prove it."

"I hope so. But if you're not able to . . ."

"Trust me."

I sighed. "Okay."

He smiled, satisfied. "Wanna go back now?"

I rolled my eyes. "Sure."

🔥🔥🔥

"Where were you?" Zian asked, looking annoyed.

"Why? What happened?"

"Zuko is nowhere to be seen. Last time I saw him he had a major mood swing and he said he was going to kill you for dragging him into this."