22| Berries

I woke up in the morning, light shining into my eyes. I rubbed them and blinked a few times, and I could tell by the sun that it was late; later than I usually woke.

I heard rustling around me and realized Zuko wasn't in his sleeping bag, the fire out. Shaking, I jumped to my feet.

"Who's there?" I called out. A few seconds later, the source of the sound replied.

"It's me. I'm getting food for your royal highness," he called, "as you asked."

"Thanks, Zuko. I was really hungry."

"Yeah, I can tell," he said sarcastically, pointing at the pile of berries by my bag.

Zuko stepped out of the trees holding a turken by the end of its tail, limp. It was dead and I felt sorry for the creature yet, extremely grateful.

I yawned again.

"Will you mind if I go back to sleep?" I asked, my eyes barely staying open.

"Is that a trick question?" he asked and I rolled my eyes. Then suddenly, I was sleeping.

I woke up to someone shaking me.

"Haven't you slept enough?" the voice growled, and I realized it was Zuko.

"Huhh?" I mumbled, opening my eyes tiredly.

"We have to go," Zuko said, getting up. I smelled food and I was hungry, but I couldn't bring myself to get up.

"You can go without me," I mumbled, rolling over on my side.

"I've let you sleep for two extra hours. Get up now!"

"Two hours?" I sat up groggily. "I just slept. I'm so sleepy," I fell back down as if weights were pulling me back.

"You can't sleep anymore," Zuko said furiously.

"But Zuko, I really can't get up," I muttered, rubbing my eyes and squinting at him. "I'm not lying."

"What?" he peeled the covers back from my face. "Why?" He pressed a hand to my forehead.

"I don't know." All I knew is that I wanted to sleep forever and ever.

"Oh no," Zuko said, sounding angry and tired, "Show me those berries."

"Too . . . Tired . . ." I grumbled, pulling the covers over my head. I heard him move over and lift stuff out off the grass. Then I heard a loud and frustrated groan.

"Why did you eat these?" he said, his voice sounding utterly defeated.

I couldn't reply, but inside I was furious with him for blaming me.

"Why did I give you these?" he said, softly after a few seconds, and I relaxed, glad that he knew it was his fault. "These are Nightlight berries."

I snorted at the name.

"They're supposed to light up at night, and attract attention to them. If you eat them, you tire out until you can't fend for yourself for up to five days, and anything can happen to you; starvation, become a prey—"

"I got it!" I managed to say through gritted teeth.

"Okay, so somehow we have to get you on something that can move. Uh, we could buy a cart or something from a nearby village?" He rubbed his the back of his neck.

"Mhmm...."

"Where do I find a village?" Zuko asked no one in particular. "There must be a Fire Nation colony around here somewhere."

My eyelids were heavy, and I realized I was exhuasted; too exhausted to even yawn. "Go find one."

The next thing I knew, I was being tossed over his shoulder.

🔥🔥🔥

I woke up as something cold touched my face. Groaning, I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I was still exhausted but not entirely anymore.

"Where am I?" I managed to mumble.

"You're alive. You weigh a lot, you know that?" a very familiar low, dry voice stated.

I opened my eyes and cracked a smile, then immediately yawned. "Zuko, what happened?" I looked around myself to find myself in a bed. Zuko was standing right next to me, an extremely annoyed look on his face.

We were in a room.

I rolled my shoulders, hearing them crack. My neck ached.

"How long was I out?"

"Three days, until the old woman made your medicine to wake your lazy self." Zuko rolled his eyes.

"Where is she? Can I talk to her?" I asked, throwing the covers back and hastily getting to my feet, but my head was throbbing. I felt slightly dizzy.

"If you want to fall over and hit your head again and end up in a three day coma for a second time, go right ahead. I'm not gonna stop you," he drawled in his raspy voice, but all the same, he grabbed onto my arms, steadying me.

"Fine." I sat back down and frowned, crossing my arms over my chest. "But I want to know who she is."

"All I know is that she's really old," Zuko muttered, sitting on the ground.

"How did I get here?"

"Stop asking questions."

"Questions lead to knowledge," I retorted.

"In your case even that won't help," Zuko smirked.

I opened my mouth to say something mean and hurtful, probably about his scar, but a knock came at the door. I quickly changed my tone of voice.

"Come in," I called politely.

The door opened, revealing an old, old woman with snow-white hair and wrinkles on her face that were so deep they covered her lips too. Her eyes were a kind gray, as were her clothes. Her long dress covered her arms and feet and her hair hung a over her head in thin loops.

"It's a pleasure to see such a young and beautiful face awake. You look even prettier when you're not sleeping." She smiled.

I blushed horribly and cleared my throat. "Thank you," I managed.

"Don't be shy," she shook her head. "I'm like your mother, really."

I nodded and the lady walked to me. Zuko stood up.

"Young lady, what is your name?" she asked me without even glancing at Zuko.

I glanced at Zuko who stared at me, expressionless.

"It's Mei," I told her.

"What a beautiful name, for a beautiful girl," the old woman chuckled.

Zuko rolled his eyes.

"What's your name?" I asked, ignoring him completely.

"My name?" she chuckled again, her blue eyes twinkling. "My name has a long story behind it. I bet you haven't heard of it before," she said.

"I wouldn't know until you told me," I laughed.

"My name . . . My name is Hama."