Chapter 16

Zane did as I asked and stayed away from me during school physically, but virtually, he was everywhere. He would text me all throughout the days and then he would hang out at my place after school. Sometimes Presley would come over too. Eventually, Zane did get to stay for dinner. Then Presley joined him. I was actually starting to trust him more. Paris and Dallas had undoubtedly joined together. They would sit together at lunch and they even started dressing like each other. I wasn't too worried though; all of my friends had my back and agreed that Dallas was being ridiculous. They didn't know everything, but they didn't agree with Dallas in the slightest.

The second month passed and I was close to nine weeks. I didn't look pregnant yet, but I did look like I was putting on some weight. I had to start wearing baggier shirts because of my now taunt stomach. It wasn't even that noticeable, but Zane couldn't keep his hands off of it.

Zane put his hand on my stomach again as we sat on my couch. Ever since my stomach started getting tight, Zane's hands have been like magnets. I swatted his hands away... again.

"Stop it," I said growing irritated. Zane smiled easily and reached for my stomach again. "Domi!" I finally called. Domino was getting big. He was about five months old and he was double the size he was when we got him. Domino hopped into my lap and acted as a force field as he licked my face. I chuckled and moved his head to scratch behind his ear. Domino eventually laid down in my lap, blocking my stomach.

"That's not fair," Zane pouted slightly. I raised an eyebrow at him in amusement.

"It is too fair. You're being ridiculous. Stop touching my stomach. It's weird," I said before I stuck my tongue out at him. He chuckled and sat back against the couch.

"So what are you doing for Homecoming?" he asked. I busied my hands by running them over Domino's back.

"I'm not going," I shrugged indifferently.

"Oh hell no. You're going," he said, his voice filled with determination and bewilderment.

"Why are you so insistent on this?" I asked with an exasperated sigh. Zane was like the puppy who always stayed close to you and whined whenever he wasn't getting enough attention. I guess I was growing numb to it, but it was still irritating. Lately, Zane had made it his mission to make me participate in every minuet activity at school. It hadn't worked so far. I was still my regular home-bodied self. Zane shrugged.

"Well one, you're a Homecoming Queen nominee finalist. And two, I don't want you to miss out on everything that makes our senior year memorable because of me. I would only blame myself if I didn't do everything humanly possible, and judicially legal, to make your year as normal as possible," he explained. I understood what he was trying to do, but he had it all wrong.

"Zane, it takes two, you know. If anything, you're pushing me to have a very unordinary year. If none of this happened, my year would have consisted of doing practically nothing except studying and pretending to be someone I'm not," I tried to explain. "My head would be stuck in a book ... I've never been to a school dance and I don't want to start now," I shrugged. Zane looked at me like a second head just sprouted from my neck.

"You're not serious, are you?" he asked shocked. I shrugged and scratched Domino's head and back to busy my hands. "No, that's impossible. Never? Now you're definitely going to Homecoming," he said with a newfound determination. I sighed and shook my head slightly when I saw that he wasn't going to let this go.

"Dria! Zane!" my sister called as she entered the house. Domino perked up and ran to greet them. I watched Domino sprint around the corner before I felt a hand on my stomach again. I smacked him in the chest as Fehtra came into the living room.

"Seriously! I'm not even showing yet. I just look fat, so stop touching my stomach!" I yelled in irritation.

"But there's a baby in there!" he said as he motioned to my stomach with one hand and held his chest with the other. He looked like an intrigued child. Fehtra laughed as she watched our interaction.

"He's just excited, Dria," Fehtra shrugged. I rolled my eyes before I stood and stretched.

"I can only imagine how he'll act when I hit my last trimester," I said. Fehtra chuckled as Zane looked off curious and confused.

"Oh yeah, speaking of... you're next ultrasound is in three weeks when you hit your 12th week," Fehtra informed me.

"Three weeks?" Zane repeated. Fehtra nodded. Zane's eyes turned to me in a pleading manner. I knew what he was asking immediately.

"Fine... you can come," I said reluctantly. He smiled and stood up next to me.

"Dria, go grab your coat," he said matter-o-factly. I raised an eyerow at his bossiness.

"Why?" I asked slowly.

"We have to get you a Homecoming dress," he explained like it was obvious. I swear that boy was ADHD. I began shaking my head.

"Nope, not happening... you can go home now," I said calmly as I started heading for the stairs.

"Oh, come on, Dria. You're a finalist which means you're apart if the Homecoming Court, and you have to walk on the field during halftime at the Homecoming game. Then, of course, there's the actual Homecoming dance. So you actually need to get two Homecoming dresses," Zane explained as he followed me. I stopped in my tracks at the bottom of the stairs and turned quickly to face him.

"If you say 'Homecoming' one more time, I will not hesitate to punch you in the face," I warned, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Dria, I think you should go to the dance... and the game. This is your last chance to experience high school like everyone else. You get to be a, somewhat, normal teenager now. I think you should milk it for all it's worth. And if a cute new dress gets added to the equation, I think it counts as a win, win," Fehtra said as she strolled over to where we were. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly. I couldn't believe I was actually thinking about it. Fehtra didn't get to go to any dances either, and I knew she wished she had. If I didn't go, I would always be wondering 'what if', and I didn't know if I could tolerate that again this year.

"But I''m pregnant," I said as I opened my eyes again. Both of them shrugged.

"You're pregnant, not terminal. You're not even showing! Plus, no one knows but us and your two best friends, right?" We'll find you the perfect dress and it won't even matter. By the end of the night, you'll probably forget that you're pregnant anyway," Fehtra said. I highly doubted I would ever forget that fact.

"So now you're on board with this crazy idea?" I asked her as I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow at her. She only smiled and nodded.

"The idea is not that crazy if you think about it, Dria. It's just a dance," Fehtra shrugged. I looked down at Domino who was standing directly in front of me and wagging his tail at me expectantly. I groaned and threw my hands up in defeat.

"Fine," I muttered, giving in. "I'll do this stupid Homecoming idea, but when it ends badly, I'm going to be right there to tell you 'I told you so'," I warned.