Chapter 53

"Are you ready?" Aria asked me. I nodded. It was Friday night and Tyler was due to show up any minute. Aria wouldn't stop raving about it being the perfect date. I didn't know where we were going but Aria did, so she was the one who dressed me in a pair of dark wash maternity jeans and a gray V-neck sweater. She curled my hair in ringlets and pinned the top half, up. My hair was past to my waist when it was straight now. Curled, it was right at my waist. Based on my attire I would guess that it was a casual date. Aria wouldn't tell me, but I knew it was nothing fancy and I was actually grateful for that. We heard the doorbell go off from upstairs.

"What is it doesn't go well and I lose Tyler as a friend too?" I said, starting to get nervous all of the sudden. Aria rolled her eyes.

"Tyler has, and always will be, there for you no matter what. You're pregnant, for Christ's sake, and the boy wants to take you on a date. He makes you happy and he loves you. Just remember, Dryler, Dryler, Dryler..." Aria chanted as she dragged me out of the room. We went downstairs and saw Tyler waiting in the living room with Fehtra and Ben, wearing something similar to my outfit. He was sporting a pair of dark jeans and a striped sweater. He smiled when he saw me.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," I replied, as I felt myself blush.

"Oh my God. You guys act like you haven't been best friends for the last five months," Aria said in frustration.

"It's a little alarming that you know so much about me," I noted. She shrugged.

"Comes with the territory," she said. Tyler chuckled before offering me a hand.

"Ready?" he asked. I nodded and took his hand before we walked outside to his car. He opened my door for me but that wasn't really anything new. Tyler was always a gentleman. The sun was just starting to set as we drove away.

"So where are we going?" I asked. He smiled and kept his eyes on the road.

"Wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you, now would it?" he said. It wasn't long before we stopped. I looked out of my window confused.

"The neighborhood park?" I asked. He nodded before he turned off the car and came around to open my door.

"It was the first place we really talked," he explained.

"After Homecoming," I said, remembering. He nodded.

"You were upset at first, but it turned into one of the best night's of my life," he said. He held my hand in his as he went to the slide and pulled out a basket with a blanket tied on top.

"A night picnic?" I asked. He chuckled.

"Yes, it's a starlit picnic. A little cheesy, I know, but I know you wanted to take this slow," he answered as he went to a clear spot in the grass and set out the blanket. He even set out a pillow for me to sit comfortably with my stomach. He pulled out a bunch of food before helping me sit against the pillow.

"How romantic," I giggled. "In all honesty, I am starving though. What did you bring to eat?" I asked looking at the food as he sat on the blanket with me.

"A little bit of everything," he said. He wasn't lying. He had everything from pineapples to fried chicken. We ate and just talked. I was having a good time, until Zane got brought up somehow.

We ate in silence a bit before Tyler looked at me guiltily. "How did he take it?" Tyler asked. I sighed and set a strawberry stem down.

"He didn't take it well, if that's what you're asking. You already know he wasn't going to be happy about it, but he wouldn't have even been as into me as he is if I never got pregnant," I said.

"Okay, and I wouldn't have ever met you if you never got pregnant, moved in with your sister, and won Homecoming Queen," he countered.

"Why are you saying this?" I asked. He sighed and shook his head.

"I shouldn't have asked you out," he said. I looked at him confused as he stood.

"What?" I asked as I watched him.

"Don't get me wrong, I love you, Dria, and I want to be with you so bad it hurts sometimes... but Zane is... you should give Zane another chance," he explained. I was way past confused now.

"Tyler, what are you talking about? Why are we even talking about this right now?" I asked as I attempted to stand. He offered me a hand and helped me up.

"Because as much as I love you, I think Zane deserves another chance before you give up on him. For the baby's sake if nothing else," he said. I didn't know what to say.

"I-I don't know what to even think right now," I breathed confused as I shook my head.

"I want you to be completely sure that you can't work things out with Zane before... I  don't know, Dria. I feel like I'm intruding. If it were my parents, I would wonder if they did everything they could," he said.

"You're not intruding. I chose you, Tyler. Zane... I don't want to put my heart on the line with him again. I can't," I replied.

"So I'm safe," Tyler asked. I sighed and shook my head.

"No, Tyler, I just... I wasn't saying that I chose you because you're safe. I chose you because I really like you, it's a fresh start, and you're amazing. Who wouldn't want to be with you Tyler?" I said as unshed tears stung my eyes. How could Zane ruin everything, even now as he did nothing. Tyler chuckled once.

"You. The only girl I want," he said as he looked at me wistfully. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before he sighed. "I'll take you home," he said.

"Tyler," I stopped him. I grabbed his waist and pulled him back to me, crushing my lips against his. He hesitated before his hands went to my waist. I pulled away and searched his face for something... anything. I saw longing and regret, guilt and adoration. He was conflicted. I don't know where this sudden second-guessing was coming from, but I wanted it to stop. I wanted him to be focused on me, and only me; not me and Zane.

"Well, um... y-yeah, so," Tyler stuttered. I chuckled and walked with him back to the car.

"I really like you, Tyler. And I know things are slightly screwy but... I did chose you," I said again. He sighed and looked at the stars as he shoved his hands in his front pockets. 

"You should talk to Zane again," he said hesitantly. I sighed and finally gave up.

"Fine," I said before Tyler opened the door for me.