Chapter 19

Principal Jackson sighed before she held out a paper.

"Look, I don't have time for this. Aria, this is your punishment: two weeks suspension with three weeks detention when you get back. Just sign the paper and be on your way," she said. I balled my fists angrily. I was sure it was due to the hormones.

"With all due respect, Principal Jackson, Aria isn't signing, and she shouldn't be punished either. Aria didn't do anything! You have no idea what happened. If you did, you wouldn't be punishing Aria; you would be handing that paper to Dallas Wright. Out of respect for your students, and your job, in the matters involving a confrontation, I expect you to get the whole story before you start ruining permanent records. So now that we're going to come in your office one-by-one and tell you our side of the story. Then, you'll call in Dallas Wright and three random bystanders and they're going to do the same thing. Compare stories and find the facts and when you get them, then you can issue punishment to the guilty party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of that is what you're supposed to do. Heaven forbid you actually have to do your job," I ranted. Couldn't help it, I was angry. The room grew quiet in shock for a moment before Principal Jackson cleared her throat and stood.

"And you are?" she asked irritated. I crossed my arms and held my head high.

"Chandria Shandi," I said confidently. Principal Jackson nodded as she came around to the front of her desk.

"Ah... Ms. Valedictorian. Fine, we'll do this your way," she said as she crossed her arms. "But punishment will be doubled and I'm starting with Ms. Wilcox," she said.

"Thank you," I said before I left with Zane on my heels. I finally released my breath when we were outside of the office.

"You are completely insane, Dria," Zane whispered to me. I shrugged indifferently.

"She was out of line," I said simply. We waited until Zane was finally called in. Aria came out with a heavy breath. Aria scolded me similarly to what Zane had about my outburst. She sat with me until it was finally my turn. I walked into Principal Jackson's office and sat in one of the chairs in front of her large desk. She stared me down with her hands clasped together on top of her desk for a good minute before she sighed.

"I'm surprised I haven't seen you in my office at all with how... opinionated you seem, and the company you keep with Ms. Wilcox," Principal Jackson started. My mind was made up at that moment... Principal Jackson was bitchy, too.

"I normally keep to myself, but when I see something that is wrong and unjust, I speak up. I couldn't just sit there and let you blame Aria for protecting me. I understand Aria doesn't have the best track record, but that's no excuse to automatically assume that it's always her fault. You don't even let her explain herself. You just shut her down. How is that fair or effective?" I asked, a bit calmer now. She was quiet for a moment before she sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"It's a difficult job to run a school. You get tired," she admitted. "So, what's your side of the story?" she asked. I started at the beginning and only left out the fact that I was pregnant with Zane's baby. By the time I was done, I'd subconsciously put a hand over my stomach protectively. The movement didn't go unnoticed by Principal Jackson. Her eyes narrowed slightly at my stomach, making me blush.

"Um, that's my point of view," I finished. Principal Jackson leaned forward as her eyes zeroed in on my stomach that I was now trying to hide with my arms.

"And Aria and Zane are protecting you, why? Chandria, are you pregnant by chance?" she asked. I turned bright red as I looked at my stomach. There was no use in trying to lie about it to her. She clearly already knew.

"Right at 9 1/2 weeks," I admitted sheepishly. She sighed and closed her eyes briefly as she shook her head.

"Christ," she breathed. She took a moment before she held her hands up in a surrender. "Okay, okay... I'll keep it under wraps but, are you still planning on going to college?" she asked. I noted. It was a lie. I still wasn't sure what I was going to do as far as my future was concerned.

"My life will continue as normal," I said quietly. Principal Jackson stood and paced behind her desk.

"And Zane is the father I'm assuming," she breathed. "Chandria, you're one of the best students here. How did this happen?" she asked. I looked at my stomach and sighed.

"It was... unexpected but I'm owning up to my irresponsibility. I have my sister and her husband, who are both doctors. I'm living with them and Zane actually wants to be involved . I will finish the year in school and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't tell anyone, especially Dallas Wright when she comes in here. I will tell people when I'm ready. And frankly, all of this mess started because she's determined to make my life a living hell," I explained. Principal Jackson sighed before she sat back in her chair behind her desk.

"Okay, I won't say anything, but you should really start thinking about your future and how this baby is going to fit in it," she suggested. I nodded before I stood.

"I should get back to class, but Principal Jackson... I'm sorry for my outbursts. They were inappropriate and I shouldn't have popped off like that," I apologized. She smiled slightly and shrugged before she leaned back in her chair.

"Blame it on the hormones," she joked. I smiled gratefully before I left. Aria and Zane were waiting for me outside.

"Is she mad at you?" Aria asked quickly. I shook my head and shrugged.

"Not really at me, or us for that matter, but she is peeved at the whole situation. We've come to an... understanding," I explained.

"Snitch," Dallas muttered as she passed me and went into the principal's office. That only pissed Aria off more.

"That little-"

"It's being handled... the right way," I said, stopping Aria. Aria didn't look pleased but she turned away anyway. Zane walked us to our class before he left. The remainder of the day was monotone compared to the morning. Everyone was whispering about it and taking sides. Zane was also seen as 10 times hotter because of his chivalrous act in defending me. At lunch, Dallas was no where to be found. During my next period, I was unexpectedly called back into the principal's office.