Zoe

Author's note - Please make sure you are emotionally ready to read this chapter... :'(

*Song for this chapter- "Say Something' by A Great Big World*

It had taken me a while to notice Alfie and Kimmi had gone and I wondered where they were. No-one else seemed to question it until we were back up at the house and there was still no sign of them.
"Has anyone noticed where Alf and Kimmi have gone?" Louis asked. "I wanted to get some group shots of us all round the pool." Most people shook their heads, as if they were only just realising they were gone.
"I saw her taking Alfie back into the house a few hours ago," Marcus said.
"Oh right," Louis said. "I think we all know what that means then..." he smirked and I saw Joe's eyes on me. I avoided eye contact - I couldn't handle his pity. "Never mind. Anyone up for taking some shots anyway?" Louis asked and most people nodded.
"I need to put some lippy on!" Louise shrieked. As most people made their way back outside I looked down the corridor that lead to the bedrooms. So he was obviously feeling better then? Maybe he'd decided he wanted to be with her after all. I spotted Jack staring at me and he smiled his beautiful, warm grin. I smiled back and went over to him. I couldn't spend my whole life moping over Alfie when he clearly wanted to be with her. Maybe, in time I would forget him and my feelings for Jack would return. It was worth a try. Jack wrapped his arm around my shoulder.
"Is it OK for you to go and grab your bigger lens babe? I think it might help to get some really great shots!"
"Course," I smiled, patting his side. "I'll just get it. I wanted to tidy my hair up too. Won't be a minute."
"That means you'll be an hour then, right?" he said jokingly, winking at me.

I made my way back inside, unsure how I was feeling. It hurt that Alfie was carrying on as normal, despite his words this morning. But could I mope over him for the rest of my life? Somehow, I had to make it work.

As I turned the corner to go along to my room, I heard shouts. Stopping still, I listened and the sounds were coming from Alfie's room. However, unlike last night where the shouts had made me cover my ears in disgust and hurt inside, these were more aggressive. Were they...were they having an argument?! Part of me longed to stay and listen but I forced myself to keep going. It was no longer, and never had been, my position to get involved his private matters.

As I set off again, just about to pass his door, it opened violently making me jump out my skin. Kimmi flew out, nearly colliding straight into me.
"Oh my God, I'm sorry!" I apologised, hoping it didn't look like I had been listening. Her face was full of anger, her eyes red raw and her hair messier than usual. Her teeth gritted.
"YOU! YOU, have ruined my LIFE!!!" she screeched, stabbing her index finger sharply into my chest. I was frightened, backing up against the wall.
"Excuse me?" I managed to splutter out.
"Oh you know exactly what I'm on about! And everyone thinks you're so perfect. So innocent," she sneered, her whole hand pushing one shoulder this time. It banged against the wall, sending a pain down my back.
"Kimmi!" Alfie came through the door, pulling her back. "It's nothing to do with Zoe. It's not her fault!"
"Oh, of course it's not," she scoffed, shooting daggers at me. My eyes flicked between her and Alfie, terrified. "It's not her fault that you've broken up with me at all!" she yelled.

I stopped breathing, and looked at Alfie who looked back at me. They'd broken up? WHAT?
"Yeah that's right. You heard me. Because of you, I no longer have a boyfriend. Well I'll tell you what, I'm going to make your life HELL," Kimmi said, threateningly.
"I..." I spluttered, wanting to give some explanation.
"Oh shut up, I don't want to hear your pathetic excuses! Just so you know, you're being the most selfish, horrible, despicable person by lying to Jack about this. Well, I'm not telling him. If he's stupid enough to have not noticed anything, he deserves you and everything that's coming to him!" she whined. She pushed violently past Alfie and seconds later came back out the room with her suitcase. "I'm leaving. I don't ever want to see you again!" she hollered, pushing heavily past me one last time before disappearing up the corridor. It fell silent.

I gulped down air and looked at Alfie; his head was hanging and I could see his shoulders shaking from sobs. I rushed to him and put my arms around him. After a few moments I let go and he walked back into his room. I followed.
"I haven't been a complete dick," he said suddenly. "I've paid for her airport transfer and flight home." He sighed loudly.
"Why, Alfie?" I asked quietly. "Why did you break up with her?" He looked up at me, his eyes wet with tears.
"Because Zoe. I meant what I said on the beach earlier. I can love you better than him." My heart flipped at the memory. "I know you feel the same," he pressed. I looked down, not being able to bring myself to say anything. I just gave a small nod. Alfie's face broke into a smile, looking tragic through his tears.
"So, that's it, right?" he asked. "I've broken up with Kimmi, so we can be together?" I stopped, confused.
"But I'm still with Jack," I countered and his face changed.
"Yeah, but I've broken up with Kimmi," he repeated. "Now you can break up with Jack?" I frowned heavily, not quite understanding.
"I can what?" I asked, growing angrier at his pure assumptions about what I would do. He stopped, his own confusion shadowing his face.
"Well I...I just thought that you would break up with Jack and..."
"Well you had no right to 'just think' anything!" I shouted, feeling really angry now.
"Zoe, I..."
"Regardless of my feelings for you or what either of us has or hasn't said, you had no right to make decisions about my relationship for me!" I continued. His face looked genuinely upset but rage had overcome me. I stopped, realising I was breathing heavily.
"Zoe, I didn't intend to make a decision for you. I just...I just can't ignore my feelings for you anymore. I need to be with you." His voice shook and I realised he was crying. I couldn't bring myself to hug him though. I was ANGRY. He sighed heavily and ran his hand through his hair. "Look, I know you have feelings for me. Whether they're the same as mine for you, I'm not sure. Even if they're not, I had to end things with Kimmi because I couldn't lie to myself anymore." He stepped closer and my heart pounded, my eyes still staring at the floor. "Look, I'm going. I can't stand to be in this house right now. I have tickets for a flight home tomorrow morming, but I'll be down on the beach tonight. Where we were this morning. I'll be waiting there from 10. If you want something to happen, and I'm not talking heavy commitment straight away or marriage or anything like that, but just something, then come and meet me there. If not..." I looked up at him, struggling not to break upon seeing his fragile, teary face, "...if not, then I'll understand."

He brushed past me and disappeared down the corridor. The room was silent. I could hear happy screams from outside, everyone playing in the pool. I bent my head and cried. And cried and cried and cried.