Zoe

*Song for this chapter- A Thousand Years by Boyce Avenue.

I slowly padded across the beach bare foot, the sand as soft as cotton wool. I was ten minutes late and I so hoped he hadn't left yet. Hopefully he'd waited just a little bit longer.

I could hear the waves crashing but could barely see them, the only light guiding me coming from the moon and the lanterns strung along the verandas of people's houses. My heart beat wildly in my chest. I still couldn't see him. Shit, shit, shit. He had gone. I was too late. I just needed to tell him. Needed to put him out his misery.

My white swing dress rippled in the breeze, my hair gently fanning my face. I tucked it all over one shoulder. Surely now I was nearly at the place we had sat this morning? It had felt so much longer ago than this morning, so much had happened...

I could faintly make out a crouched figure in the distance, but it was the noise that gave it away first. Oh my gosh it was Alfie. And he was crying so loudly, such strangled sobs my heart broke. I sped up, almost running, the soft sand disgusting the noise of my footsteps. As I got closer, I slowed. Even from the back, he looked utterly devastated.

"Alfie?" I saw his body jump. His head snapped round.
"Zoe?!" I nodded and he got up immediately, ploughing into me, his arms tight around me. I wrapped my own around his neck, tears filling my own eyes. I could feel his body shaking. "You're here," he whispered into my neck, his hand stroking my hair.
"I'm sorry I'm late," I whispered back through my tears. He sighed.
"I told you I would wait forever for you," he said quietly, pulling away to look me deep in the eyes, his hand cupping my face. I leant into his hand.
"I can't take it anymore, I need to tell you," I said and his eyes looked expectant. "I broke up with Jack." I was expecting him to break out into a dance but he looked down for a few moments before saying "Are you OK?"
"About as OK as you were breaking up with Kimmi," I replied and he nodded. Neither of us had found it easy.
"And how did he take it?" Alfie asked.
"Badly. Very badly." Alfie scrunched his eyes up. "But Alfie, I did it for you. For US. I've been lying to myself. All this time the person I really wanted was right in front of me. I just couldn't see it."

His face broke out into the biggest, most gorgeous smile and my heart melted. "Do you mean it, you really do like me?" he choked out. I gave a small sigh and stroked his cheek with my thumb. "It's always been you Alfie. But for so long you've just been untouchable."
"I love you, Zoe Sugg," he whispered. My breath hitched in my throat.
"I love you too Alfie Deyes."

Alfie leant in and his lips were on mine. It was as perfect as I'd dreamed it, so many times. He kissed me with so much emotion and I felt every ounce of love, pain, torment and hurt he had felt. Salty tears mixed with our kisses and in that moment, nothing else mattered.

We broke away and stared into each other's eyes, our foreheads touching lightly and I broke out into a giggle. Alfie followed until we were both laughing and we hugged each other so tightly, my feet raising slightly off the ground. I can't remember much else from that night. All I know is, I was finally where I belonged.

THE END ❤️❤️❤️❤️