Chapter 25

"Evelyn get up! The council needs to see you immediately!"

"One more minute..." I mumble and dig my head into the pillow.

"Oh.... but the council demands you come at once... We can't go against their wishes." A girl's voice says worriedly.

I sigh and lean up on my bed. I look to my left and see Marla looking at me worriedly, she is impatiently tapping her foot. Stacey is frantically going through my wardrobe looking at clothes for me to wear.

"Fine..." I say. I get up slowly and then Marla drags me over to the front of the room. Stacey quickly strips me out of my night gown and throws on a dark blue tight shirt, a pair of black pants and the same belt and boots as yesterday.

While this is happening, Marla starts to prepare my hair. She brushes it out straight then braids a strip from each side and connects them in the back.

"Perfect." Marla says and looks me over on last time. "Okay, come on, we mustn't keep the council waiting."

"Okay." I say with a yawn. They hurry me down to the familiar council room. They open the doors and I see the five council men standing behind their giant table.

The one who normally speaks smiles and says, "Welcome back Evelyn. Thank you for coming."

I bow my head down. "It's a pleasure." I say and look back up. "What can I do for you?" I ask nicely.

He laughs. "It's not what you can do for us, but what we can do for you." He says and I give him a curious look. What is he talking about? "We have the fourth candidate here for you. He showed up this morning. We would like to introduce you to him."

Oh. Another one... I sigh but smile.

"Of course." I say in a friendly tone.

He motions toward the door. "Your fourth candidate, Gavin Coleman."

The door opens and I see Gavin walk through. His eyes meet mine immediately and he sighs in relief. My mouth drops open. Holy cow! It's Gavin!

"He will be taking Kenneth's place as your wolf trainer." Says the councilman.

Gavin walks up to me and shakes my hand. "Pleasure to meet you Evelyn Brewer." He says.

I give him a confused look. This isn't the first time we have met? Why is he playing stupid? Gavin must notice the conflict going on in my head.

He leans in closer and whispers, "Go with it."

Well, if that's what he wants... I suppose I can act like I don't know him.

I shake his hand back and smile. "Nice to meet you too Gavin."

"Well now that you have met your four official candidates you have two weeks to choose who you want to be your mate." The main councilman says. I look at him shocked.

"Two weeks...?" I ask surprised. He laughs.

"Of course. The sooner we have you mated, the sooner we can initiate a truce."

I blink a few times to take it in. This is all happening so fast... I'm only seventeen... I can't mate and have a kid yet.

"Well, I'm going to dismiss you so you can get ready for your training. You will be with Kenneth first, with hand to hand combat. Then with Gavin later in wolf training."

I look at Gavin worriedly. He gives me a calm smile and I relax a little bit. Okay, at least Gavin is the one teaching me for wolf training. He already knows I don't have a wolf and I know he won't tell anyone. I'm safe for now.