Chapter 30

Music blares through the court yard as people dance around the fire in beautiful swirls. The women's dresses twirl around them as they sway with their male partners. The music is cheery and so are all the smiles on everyone's face.

Then there is our group. We are sitting at our table and watching all the pack members dancing around and having fun. As beautiful colors mix around in front of us I let out a sigh. I really want to dance.

Wesley stands from the table and walks up to me. "My lady would you care to join me?" he asks with a playful smile. I laugh and stand.

I say, "I would love too." I wrap my arm around his as he escorts me to the dance floor.

I laugh as he twirls me in front of him. He bows down and I curtsy. He places my free hand on his shoulder and the other hand in his own. He gently guides me by placing his free hand on my hip. I laugh as we sway through the crowd.

"This is so much fun." I exclaim. He laughs.

"Oh, I know. We hold dances and balls like this all the time. They don't do this in America?" he asks. I laugh and shake my head.

"Nope. This is a girl's dream in America."

I look around at the people dancing beside us. Then I catch a glimpse of a familiar sparkly pink dress flowing through the crowd and a familiar green one. I take a closer look and see Marla and Stacey dancing with partners. Looks like Stacey is dancing with Leonardo and Marla is dancing with Gavin. I feel a growl rumble in my chest.

No I can't do that. Marla likes Gavin. I need to stop. Plus I will find my mate eventually and any feelings I might have for Gavin will vanish.

The song slowly comes to an end and Wesley turns to his left. I follow his eyes and see Kenneth has tapped on his shoulder.

"Can't hog the beautiful lady all night. Mind if I step in?" He asks Wesley.

Wesley shrugs, "Sure thing, I was getting tired anyway." He releases me. "I had fun." he says.

I laugh. "Me too." With that he is gone.

Kenneth grabs my hand and pulls me toward him. He puts my hand on his shoulder and put his hand on my hip. We start to sway to the new song that comes on.

"You look beautiful tonight Evelyn." He says and gazes into my eyes with his bright green ones.

I feel my face heat up. "Oh... Thank you." I say.

He twirls me around and I laugh. I never knew dancing could be so fun. We dance like this until the music comes to an end and the fire is practically dead.

The group gathers at the table and we decide it is best to get back to the mansion. We grab our stuff and wonder back through the booth area and walkway. We start to pass by the familiar settings of the festival and I feel almost sad that the night has slipped away so quickly. We finally reach the area near the lanterns.

I look out at the water one last time and see kids standing and holding lanterns. A few of them lift the lanterns up high and let them go. They gracefully rise and float away into the dark night sky. More people follow suit and soon there is a river of light in front of me. It's so beautiful.

We hop on the carriage and start our trek home. I look back and watch as the light grows more and more dim the further we go. It saddens me, but at least it was a fun night.

The carriage pulls into the mansion's extravagant driveway. Everyone starts to get out. Once I've exited, I turn around and wait for Marla and Stacey. Gavin comes out after me. He gets down the stairs and Marla appears behind him.