I'm Fine

He snapped out of his trance and swerved the car down the side street hitting the breaks hard. My side of the car smashed into the telephone pole. Tiny sharp pings stabbed into the side of my body. The blood trickled along the right side of my body. However there was none on my face and when I looked up I realized what had truly happened. The glass of the passenger side window had flown in toward me. My head was buried under the top half of Noah’s body. His arms wrapped around my neck and head while his head rested upon them.

I heard sirens and blue painted my small window of vision between his arms and head. I felt panic set in. I inhaled deeply and controlled it. However I was inhaling Noah and that made my heart beat even faster.

“Are you okay?” he asked alert now as he drew back.

“Noah, we could’ve died,” I whispered and felt tears prick in my eyes. Then I remembered I wasn’t his girlfriend anymore. He probably had a new one and she got to be the one who he comforted. So I came off strong, but I was lying, “You don’t have to worry about it.”

He gave me a look then threw his head back against the headrest, “When I imply you’re a slut you’re angry, but when I almost kill us you’re totally fine?”

It wasn’t very likely we were going to die anyway. The glass stung, but I highly doubted the death toll would’ve got up any. No one else was touched. Even the poll didn’t seem to care. Noah and I were the only one affected by that accident. I was about to explain that to him, but his door swung open.

“Are you two alright?” the doctor asked. There was an ambulance. I couldn’t have been more embarrassed. I craned my neck back to see that the two of us weren’t the only ones who cared. People starred and apparently one had dialed the cops.

“I’m fine,” I brushed the glass off me and winced when I moved my right arm as the glass dug in.

“No, you’re not. You need to go to the hospital,” Noah corrected me and the doctor nodded.

Once the man left to get the necessary appliances I narrowed my eyes at Noah, “I told you I was fine.”

“You are covered in tiny shards of glass,” he glared back at me.

“Don’t you have better things to do than worry about my well-being?” I snapped.

“Not at the moment,” he said through gritted teeth.

“Are you two ready?” the doctor asked.

“Yes!” Noah answered before I got a chance.

I was shuffled into the ambulance along with Noah and the two of us sat silently as we were examined. My eyes landed everywhere except for Noah. I was fine. A few glass cuts weren’t going to kill me. The ambulance pulled to a stop and rolled us into the hospital. I wanted to sleep and I assumed that would be my chance.

“You can’t sleep,” Noah informed me angrily, “You might have a head injury.”

I opened my eyes to find we were the only two in the white tile room with many scalpels and plastic gloves before us. I looked around to find bloody mediacl bandges, stitching supplies, and needles. I almost threw up in my mouth.

“What are you talking about?” I choked out, with less anger than I meant.

There were people screaming in the hall way and I assumed the doctors had more important things to take care of than us. We weren’t that badly scraped up. I was covered in glass and Noah’s arm hit the dashboard when he went to cover me. I figured we would’ve been healthy other than that.