Chapter 19

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all

And I will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye

Say something, I'm giving up on you
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
And anywhere I would've followed you Oh-oh-oh-oh
Say something, I'm giving up on you

Say something..

~Demi

I hummed absentmindedly to the lyrics that were going through my head as I watched the sun rise slowly over the trees. I closed my eyes and sighed as a few rays of sunlight hit my skin. For some reason they didn't feel warm, almost as if they held no heat at all.

Something wasn't right.

I shivered, cold all of a sudden, and clambered to my feet. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was a little off as I started making my way back to the main building. I shrugged it off and put it down to nerves. I was nervous of approaching Leah again, I wasn't sure what was going to happen between us.

I snuck into the building, remaining undetected. As I sauntered past the door to the main lobby, I saw the receptionist that had been there when I called Maddie. I scowled but before I left I noticed that she was talking rapidly into the phone, a look of urgency etched across her features.

I frowned, confused as she slammed the phone down. She moved around the desk and took off down the hallway without giving me a second glance. The nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach grew as I started to walk briskly in the direction of our room.

Something was obviously going down with a resident in the clinic and I wanted to make sure that Leah was ok so she didn't get caught up in anything. She was fragile enough as it is. I jogged up the stairs and passed another nurse who was basically running down the steps. I wasn't sure but I could have sworn I saw blood on her uniform.

I rounded the corner to the corridor that our room was on and stopped dead in my tracks. My heart dropped to my feet as I saw a crowd of nursing staff all gathered around the outside of our room. I sprinted down the corridor, my heart in my mouth, and burst past the staff. One nurse tried to grab me before I got in the door but I writhed out of his grasp and rushed inside.

My hands flew to my mouth as I took in the state of the room. The frame that once held the mirror in the room was lying in a crumpled mess beside the wall and there were shards of glass littered across the carpet. I looked over at where the mirror used to hang and felt my stomach lurch. There was blood smeared on the wall, contrasting boldly with the white paint.

This can't be happening. Everything felt surreal as my eyes stared at the crimson stains. I finally tore my gaze away from the wall and I moved towards the nurses who were crowding in a bunch near the corner of the room.

My mouth went dry and I stepped closer to them, trying to peer past their huddled figures as they concealed her from me. It was like everything was in slow motion, like deep down I knew that this was serious. I finally broke out of my trance and I squeezed past one of the nurses.