Chapter 20

I've been beaten down, I've been kicked around,
But she takes it all for me.
And I lost my faith, in my darkest days,
But she makes me want to believe.

They call her love, love, love, love, love.
She is love, and she is all I need.

She's all I need.

Well I had my ways, they were all in vain,
But she waited patiently.
It was all the same, all my pride and shame,
And she put me on my feet.

They call her love, love, love, love, love.
She is love, and she is all I need.

And when that world slows down, dear.
And when those stars burn out, here.
Oh she'll be here, yes she'll be here,
They call her love, love, love, love, love.
They call her love, love, love, love. love.

She is love, and she is all I need,

~Demi

"Demi?"

My head shot up as I heard Dr. Carter's voice. My breath hitched as I looked at him. He was still wearing his aqua coloured scrubs and on the front of his shirt there was a red blood stain, standing out like a sore thumb. Her blood.

I felt my stomach heave and I took a deep breath, trying to control myself. He seemed to notice my discomfort and covered the stain with his clipboard. He took a seat beside me.

"As you know Demi," he began, his voice carrying across with a practised ease. "As you know Leah lost a lot of blood. She destroyed a lot of the skin on her hands with the glass. She hit some major arteries when she cut her wrists and the bleeding was profuse."

Images of her blood on the wall flashed through my mind as he talked. I swallowed painfully and nodded for him to go on. He pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath.

"We managed to stem the bleeding and repair most of the damage to her hands and arms. We gave her a blood transfusion to replace any blood she lost but.."

My heartbeat thundered in my ears. I felt sweat prickle my forehead. His next sentence would either save me or destroy me.

"Her heart stopped three times during surgery." He went on, his eyes brimming with sympathy. "We resuscitated her successfully each time and we have her stabilised for now."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I heard Lauren cry out in relief and mutter something along the lines of "Thank you God."

"Thank you.." I stuttered out. "Thank you for saving her. For saving me." He nodded kindly.

"I have to warn you Demi, she's in intensive care and it's anyone's guess if she'll pull through or not. This isn't just a case of giving her the right treatment." He took hold of my arm and turned it over, exposing my scars on my wrists. I met his gaze confused but his stare was filled with understanding. He put his arm beside mine and under his dark tan I could see faded white scars lining his arm.

"She needs to fight it too. She needs to realise that people like us can live too." He said softly. I threw my arms around him and he hugged me back, rubbing my back comfortingly.

"Thank you." I whispered again. He pulled away and smiled warmly.

"You can see her now if you want. She's still under anaesthesia but she should come around soon." He pointed towards a room where Leah was and gave me one last smile before getting up and leaving. I got up and made my way to the door. I stopped, my hand hovering over the handle.