A Successful Outing and a Successful Position

"That is what I call a very successful outing." Ben told the guys when they got to the bar. Brooke was already working.

"So why are we "in-ing"?" Tucker asked him anxiously. "We need to get back on the street." Ben's eyebrows rose.

"Dude, what's the rush?" Tucker threw up his hands.

"Maybe you haven't noticed. But I'm a relationship magnet. I enjoy casual. I want casual. But casual has not wanted me. Until now, okay? This is my fun window, people. Don't shut it." Ben's attention was directed however outside at the stroller, where a woman was checking it out.

"Wow! It even works by itself." Tucker jumped at once.

"That one's mine." Then he dashed outside, Just as an older, sharply dressed man walked in, making Ben jump to hit feet.

"Oh, crap! What's he doing here? That's Henderson, the owner. My shift started five minutes ago. You don't know me." Then he hurried over to Henderson, pretending to be working, when he pretended to just notice that Henderson was here. "Afternoon, sir. Things can really pile up if you don't stay on top of them." Henderson glanced around as he spoke.

"Hey, Walker."

"Wheeler." Ben corrected, but Henderson ignored him.

"Whatever. Have you seen Rucker?"

"Nope. Could be in the break room. Don't know, 'cause I've never been in there." He chuckled, then realised what he had said. "Wait, Rucker? As in, Brooke Rucker?" Henderson nodded.

"Yeah, can you let me know when you do? I wanna talk to her about a new management position." A new management position? Being offered to Brooke?

"Excuse me, Mr. Henderson..." Ben tried to say, but Henderson interrupted him.

"Oh, is my father here? Call me "H." Ben grinned.

"Oh, you got it, H. You can call me "W. He chuckled. "Or "B" for Ben. But we're doing the last name thing, so it's-"

"What do you want, Walker?" Henderson interrupted a third time.

"It's Wheel- never mind." Ben got straight to the point. "About that new position, I like to think of myself as management material. I'm definitely a leader, not a follower. Unless you need a follower. And then I'll follow your lead. " Henderson sighed.

"Look, I like you. I really do. You're fun, you're personable, a little flirtatious." Ben gave a weak chuckle.

"Thank you?"

"All qualities I'm looking for in a bartender." Henderson continued. "But not in a manager. You've got yourself a dream job, kid. Enjoy it."

"So you'll think about it?" Ben asked weakly, just as Brooke came over with a drink.

"Hello there, Mr. Henderson." She said, smiling. "Would you like a drink?" Henderson smiled back at her and took the fruity looking drink from her tray.

"Please, Brooke, I've told you to call me Charles." Ben pretended to work as he listened to the conversation. They were on first name bases? He couldn't even get Henderson to call him by his right name! "So, I've been meaning to ask you something." Brooke tilted her head innocently, though Ben knew it was an act. If he had said something like that to her, her wallet and a bottle of wine would have appeared out of nowhere. But there she was, looking all cute for her boss.

"Why don't we go into the back room for a moment? Talk where its more quiet." Brooke nodded.

"Sure." Then the two of them headed for the storage area in the back, Ben following in a slightly subtle manner.

When they reached the back and shut the door, Ben stood outside and listened.

"Now, Brooke, you've been working here a long time." Henderson started. "Almost two years now. And you've by far been one of my best waitresses. You certainly bring in a lot of cliental."

"Well, I just supply good service, I suppose." She told him.

"And it has nothing to do with that fact that you're an attractive young woman?" Ben listened closer. Was he hitting on Brooke?

"I try not to make it so, sir." Brooke told him. "I mean, I don't want to get places in life by just using my body." Good. Brooke wasn't taking the flirt.

"Well, you're definitely going places if you accept my offer." He told her. "There's a new management position open, and I would like you to have it."

"A management position? Charles, as nice as that sounds, I'm not sure I really qualify for the responsibility of a manager."

"Well, why not? I mean, you're young, intelligent, and I wouldn't be bored by seeing your lovely face during travels."

"Charles, with all due respect, the compliments are really unnecessary and slightly uncomfortable." Ben heard his feet walk heavily across the room.

"God, you're beautiful." A thump. Brooke had backed into a wall.

"M-Mr. Henderson, please..." What was he going to do to her? Ben didn't wait to find out. He opened the door, and found Brooke pressed against the wall, Henderson standing over her. They both looked to Ben, Brooke looking relieved, Henderson looking annoyed.

"Sorry, we ran out of Bud Light out there." Ben told them, and Brooke quickly slipped away from Henderson.

"That's okay." She told Ben, then looked back at Henderson. "I really should be getting back to work anyway." As she turned to leave, Henderson called out to her.

"Brooke." She turned around. "I really do hope you take my offer." Brooke said nothing, but hurried out of the room.

Ben grabbed a pack of beer and ran out after her, finding her pacing in the hallway, clutching her stomach.

"Hey, Brooke!" Ben called softly, stopping her pacing and her turning to face him. "I heard what was happening in there. Are you okay?" She nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She told him. "A bit shaken, but fine. I didn't think that Charles would do something like that." Then she reached over and hugged Ben, bringing him in close. "Thank you so much for getting me out of there, Ben! I didn't know what to do!" Ben hugged her back, surprised. Brooke never got scared, not really. And now she was acting like he had just saved her life!

"Don't worry, Brooke." He told her. "I promise, I'm right there for you." He thought of his baby that might be growing inside of her. "You, and anyone else that comes along in your life."